Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Head gaskets leaking oil. Is this common?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2010, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Head gaskets leaking oil. Is this common?

Hey folks, first timer here. If I'm in the wrong forum, just point me to the right spot. Thanks for going easy on me!

Anyways, I'm driving an 2007 Impreza (2.5i) with about 75,000 miles on it. Had a local dealer give it a run through recently and they discovered my head gaskets are leaking oil onto the cross member. They mention it could start reaching the exhaust soon.

Now, I'm not a huge car fanatic, but that doesn't sound good. They estimate a whopping $1,600 bucks to replace this and I'm scratching my head. Is this a common thing with Imprezas? Is this a "serious" issue which needs to be replaced ASAP? If it is, how much longer can I milk it for? Is the dealer trying to pull a fast one?

I should mention that I ran a "cat deficiency" code recently, and the gov't would step in and replace my catalytic converter (under 80,000 miles). I read online that a leaky gasket could effect the converter. Could these two issues be seriously related?

I'd love to hear some advice from you guys. You all seem to know your stuff. I'm slowly learning, so I'll probably just ask a billion questions.

Thanks for anything you can throw my way!

Justin
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2010, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Head gaskets leaking oil. Is this common?

You sure you not getting mixed up with the rocker cover gasket them gaskets leak oil onto exhaust and as for the garage why dont they do the compression test, sniff test before assuming the head gasket gone, fair enough if the head was cracked or somthing and p***ing oil out, but some people always out for money, notice any power loss, also check here HEAD GASKET BLOWN SYMPTOMS check is their oil in coolant vice versa Id get the compression test and sniff test done and if they were fine dont touch the head gaskets but all depends on tests they'll tell you if you have a serious prob with your engine, notice any oil consumption and blue smoke out the exhaust?
Old 12 Nov 2010, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via Skype™ to carwisperer

as above mate seems bit strange and quit poss just the rocker cover gaskets they always leak!also you can get a oil die test done with a UV light add the die to the oil run the engine and use UV light all around the engine and youl see the die glow in the oil where ever its leaking!and that will give you the answer you are looking for and decide where to go from there
Old 13 Nov 2010, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm looking at the invoice given by the dealer when they wrote it down. It says, "Head gaskets are leaking oil onto cross member and starting to reach exhaust".

I haven't been noticing any blue smoke or anything serious. The only thing going on recently was the CAT deficiency code and the replacement of the converter. Besides that, it's been running fine.

I heard that Subaru used to replace the head gaskets years ago as part of the car's warranty. I also heard that in years past, they would replace it as part of a regular maintenance package.

Since my car was made years later, do you think this is something they feel they can get away with?

Justin
Old 02 Dec 2010, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinLitalien View Post
Hey folks, first timer here. If I'm in the wrong forum, just point me to the right spot. Thanks for going easy on me!

Anyways, I'm driving an 2007 Impreza (2.5i) with about 75,000 miles on it. Had a local dealer give it a run through recently and they discovered my head gaskets are leaking oil onto the cross member. They mention it could start reaching the exhaust soon.

Now, I'm not a huge car fanatic, but that doesn't sound good. They estimate a whopping $1,600 bucks to replace this and I'm scratching my head. Is this a common thing with Imprezas? Is this a "serious" issue which needs to be replaced ASAP? If it is, how much longer can I milk it for? Is the dealer trying to pull a fast one?

I should mention that I ran a "cat deficiency" code recently, and the gov't would step in and replace my catalytic converter (under 80,000 miles). I read online that a leaky gasket could effect the converter. Could these two issues be seriously related?

I'd love to hear some advice from you guys. You all seem to know your stuff. I'm slowly learning, so I'll probably just ask a billion questions.

Thanks for anything you can throw my way!

Justin
$1,600? I was given a whooping estimate of $2,000 for this. When I checked auto repair estimates,the average shop costs is only $1,200 in parts and labor but I'm thinking of trying to do it myself because the parts would only cost me $520.

Last edited by jackjroadster; 04 Dec 2010 at 08:32 AM.