Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Whats the difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2005, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Whats the difference?

I saw a P1 fly past me the other day and I was just wondering.
It sounds a little different in the exhaust tone to mine (as far as I can tell ) and I'm pretty sure in saying that it's still 'only' 280bhp? I can imagine different brakes etc, but is there anything REALLY different with the P1?

So whats the differences? And are they worth the extra cash for the car?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2005, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Re: Whats the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-type-R
I saw a P1 fly past me the other day and I was just wondering.
It sounds a little different in the exhaust tone to mine (as far as I can tell ) and I'm pretty sure in saying that it's still 'only' 280bhp? I can imagine different brakes etc, but is there anything REALLY different with the P1?

So whats the differences? And are they worth the extra cash for the car?

You really should buy Scooby Magazine :P

There is a lot of difference. Whether they are worth it.....that's down to personal choice.
Old 26 May 2005, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
I kinda thought mine and the P1 where pretty close? I must be out of my mind!
Old 27 May 2005, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Don't be put off by the noise Phil - cos Scoobs can sound very different depending on Mods etc. There is a Type R that lives just down the road from me that IMHO sounds bloody awful. Its running equal length headers and a hoooge Zorst but the deep rumble that is usually a Flat 4 has been replaced with a high pitched howl......so unlike a Scoob So don't be put off Phil you usually find no 2 Imprezas sound the same.

As for whether a P1 is worth the money well its all down to personal preference IMHO. Some would say the car you own is actually the pinnacle of an Impreza and that a P1 is a watered down version - others say differently. The Type R definately has a lot more equipment and the Group N Gearbox and Clutch and DCCD are all things that are sadly lacking in a P1. However the P1 has been mapped for UK fuel so its in effect a UK version of a Type R. I love the styling of a P1 but if you want a comparison between the 2 models you'd be best to speak to Bob cos he has owned both

HTH
Old 27 May 2005, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Hi Nelson,

Thanks for the breakdown. Very cool I kinda liked the noise but I do wonder whether or not I would be more annoyed by hearing it on a long drive on a motorway! I would like a good exhaust thats going to sound lovely whilst idling, but not so loud on a motorway at 80mph? Anyone got any suggestions?

With this DCCD thingy, as I've just bought a 6 speed box (and all the other components required from a STI 8) I assume I wont have this when the box is fitted? The main reason I ask, is that as I drive it, I just leave it on the one right at the bottom. I dont change it in anyway shape nor form. Will I be missing much?

I will be having new clutch, flywheel and so on so will the driveablity of the car have changed much compared to this 5 speed box? I am forever changing it in town and its great on the motorway if you would be flying between cars and so on, but its just not me! I like to cruise!

Thanks again for the heads up
Old 27 May 2005, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Hi mate

Well I can't really comment on what effects the 6 speed will have on your car - however driveability would be better I would have thought.

As for the DCCD - well where you have it at the moment means that the power is shifted to the back of the car (best for cruising) however wind it forward and you increase front end grip.......Bob gave me a demo in his Type R and I was amazed at how the car acted....he had it set right to the back and whilst hooning it around a roundabout switched the DCCD to the front and the nose just dug in and the front grip was amazing. Something to experiment with I reckon

and finally exhaust - depends on your budget. A nice sounding Zorst again is what Bob has on his car. Its the hKS HiPower Silent and on idle is very quiet. However wind the car up and its got a great note but certainly not intrusive. Otherwise another good sounding not to noisy box is the Ninja that Scoobyworld sell.

HTH
Old 27 May 2005, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Hi again Nelson,

How does that work then? More front end grip?! Christ, I thought there was bucket loads as there was!
I'm not 100% sure what is with the front end of my car. Something has definitely been 'played' with and I have no idea what is going on. The car was pushed quite hard on a B road near to where I live and it was just like a rally car.. Sliding through the corners rather than just gripping and going through them.

The exhaust? I'll pay whatever I have to, too get the sound and performance I would like from it I have heard the ninja from a mpeg from the scooby world site. It was rather awesome I wonder what it's like on a long trip tho? A gent/gal (cant remember which or who sadly) mentioned that for him it was too noisy on long journeys.
Old 27 May 2005, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i"ve got the vortex afterburner on my p1 and i love the noise it makes at first i thought it woz abit too loud but i"ve grown to like it now i would"nt swop it for anything else but thats my taste do"nt think the neighbours are too keen though
Old 27 May 2005, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDY T
i"ve got the vortex afterburner on my p1 and i love the noise it makes at first i thought it woz abit too loud but i"ve grown to like it now i would"nt swop it for anything else but thats my taste do"nt think the neighbours are too keen though
Listening to it, I did notice it was a little on the loud side, but I think its a little OTT for me I dont mind the Ninja as that was a little 'subtler' I thought. I'm unsure what I will get. Something at somepoint no doubt
Old 27 May 2005, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Hi Phil, It was sealion who had the ninja and didnt get on with it, neither did his dog!

I have one of these and it does sound nice, I personally would not want to go any louder than this, i would deffo reccomend it :wink:

Buzz
Old 27 May 2005, 09:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Thanks for that Buzz, you might just make me want it enough to go and buy it!

I have just got the same gearbox and running gear as your car! It's all coming from a STI 8 model, so I really cant wait to see how well that works out! I think I'm aiming for the wheels and brake upgrade next and maybe exhaust as well.. :wink: I think it will be rather nice when I hav finally finished it! 8) I just hope no one goes in the side of me whilst I'm driving! :evil:
Old 27 May 2005, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

LOL - well the back end sliding about is being caused by the DCCD being set to rear bias. The Driver Control Centre Differential is a device that allows you to put more bias of power to the front or back. I do believe with it switched completely forward you get a 50/50 split whereas with it back you get a 70 rear 30 front split.

Try clicking it forward and seeing how you get on with it 8)
Old 27 May 2005, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Sadly Nelson I think its going completely mate when I get the new gear box installed. I'm really none to sure about what has happened with my car at the moment and when Ivan from Foresters has the car up there for a few days to put the new box in, I'm sure he will set me right with whats wrong/happening/right with the car Either way, having 6 gears in this car is going to be so darn cool!! 8) Cant wait

Oh, I'd never drive it to the edge like the gent did whilst he was in the driving seat. I'm not that good a driver at the moment!! I'm still learning! Although, I am going to be doing the advance driving course... ROSPA one I think it is called?
Old 27 May 2005, 09:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-type-R
ROSPA one I think it is called?
is good - i know a SAS bloke (Saturdays and Sundays Part Time Coppa ) who swears by ROSPA... Recognition with insurance companies too....
Old 27 May 2005, 09:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

I'm going to take it as far as I possibly can. I figure it would help with my Subaru driving and also my 18 ton truck as well I want to be able to drive well, I dont want to have this beautiful car and drive it like a twat and right the car off.. That's not on my list of to do's... Also cheaper insurance is also a big plus for me 1200 a year isnt funny!