Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

miss fire on coil pack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2010, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

miss fire on coil pack

hi there i need help, ive just bought a terzo 3 with a blown bottom end ,abit silly really as ive never worked on one of these cars before
i bought a second hand engine but it turned out to be wrong so i stripped the engine and put the old heads on ,retimed it and put the old inlet etc back on,turned the key and bingo the car started first turn after bleeding the turbo up
now theres a slight miss on cylinder 1 i pulled the ht off of the coil and no change and the spark is weak and on and off,as for the rest the spark is strong and constant
ive got a second hand one and still the same on number 1
could it be ive bought a dud or could it be something else
hope you can help guys
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2010, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via Skype™ to carwisperer
Re: miss fire on coil pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
hi there i need help, ive just bought a terzo 3 with a blown bottom end ,abit silly really as ive never worked on one of these cars before
i bought a second hand engine but it turned out to be wrong so i stripped the engine and put the old heads on ,retimed it and put the old inlet etc back on,turned the key and bingo the car started first turn after bleeding the turbo up
now theres a slight miss on cylinder 1 i pulled the ht off of the coil and no change and the spark is weak and on and off,as for the rest the spark is strong and constant
ive got a second hand one and still the same on number 1
could it be ive bought a dud or could it be something else
hope you can help guys
Have you done a compression test as mentioned before?sounds like it may not be the coil to me..
Old 31 Oct 2010, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwisperer View Post
Have you done a compression test as mentioned before?sounds like it may not be the coil to me..
hi there ive not yet done a test just seems funny how 2,3,4 spark fine when ht leads are off coil but no 1 hardly sparks at all ? but yea i will do a test and get back to you thanks for your time
Old 31 Oct 2010, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
hi there ive not yet done a test just seems funny how 2,3,4 spark fine when ht leads are off coil but no 1 hardly sparks at all ? but yea i will do a test and get back to you thanks for your time
Its possible it a dud coil but id do the test and you can then eliminate it being compression related
Old 31 Oct 2010, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks guys for your help so far i will defo do a compresion test and try the wd40 on inlet
Old 20 Nov 2010, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

wonder if you can help me i have just got me a 95 impreza import it has been standing for a couple of years i have changed the oils and water turned it over and it runs well. the only thing is when you drive normally its fine but when you give it some beans it miss firs and does not bust fully i hav checked the holes all ok.

can you help
Old 21 Nov 2010, 12:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolner1601 View Post
wonder if you can help me i have just got me a 95 impreza import it has been standing for a couple of years i have changed the oils and water turned it over and it runs well. the only thing is when you drive normally its fine but when you give it some beans it miss firs and does not bust fully i hav checked the holes all ok.

can you help
what holes have you checked fella?it could be your boost actuator on your turbo failing you..you need to check thats all ok!can you move the rod easily?it should have a fair bit of resistance in it to hold the waste gate closed to build boost,could be a few things...you sure all coil packs are ok?or coil if your running the single pack and leads..,boost solenoid needs checking too,could also be fuel related lack of pressure or some thing..
Old 21 Nov 2010, 07:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwisperer View Post
what holes have you checked fella?it could be your boost actuator on your turbo failing you..you need to check thats all ok!can you move the rod easily?it should have a fair bit of resistance in it to hold the waste gate closed to build boost,could be a few things...you sure all coil packs are ok?or coil if your running the single pack and leads..,boost solenoid needs checking too,could also be fuel related lack of pressure or some thing..
thankyou i will check the actuator first and then i think i will get it plugged in somewhere thankyou ver much for your information

kevin
Old 21 Nov 2010, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolner1601 View Post
thankyou i will check the actuator first and then i think i will get it plugged in somewhere thankyou ver much for your information

kevin
no worries fella let us know how you get on