Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Overheating Problem WRX STI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2010, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Overheating Problem WRX STI

hi there,

wondered if anyone could help, my car runs hot and almost overheats when i have the thermostat in, however when i take it out, the car runs fine ???

FYI: I have had a new rad, new water pump and a new thermostat..plus timing belt etc....

is this common for my year or model ??

cheers
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2010, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: Overheating Problem WRX STI

Are you losing any coolant? The more you rev the car with the stat in the more it should drop (or cools). The water pump works harder when the engine revs higher, putting more water/antifreeze though the radiator. Also, is the fan working? People take the thermostat out when the headgasket has blown to try and cover the problem up and sell the car. I wouldn't recommend driving without the stat fitted when there's a problem. Best to find out what it is and get it sorted mate

Last edited by scoobymike79; 14 Oct 2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Unfortunatly from what you've said im pretty sure its the headgasket. also check the coolant is correctly mixed, too much antifreeze and too little water could also cause slightly overheating
Old 15 Oct 2010, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Did you test the theromstat at all because if it faulty it will cause the engine to overheat
Test it by putting stat into boiling hot water it should open fully if not its faulty then put it into cold water and it should close fully when it dont close fully thats when the engine will overcool its-self this would be the case with a lot of Hondas I had in the past but test the stat hopefully that your problem then if it dont open fully when in boiling hot water the stat is f**ked and you found the problem hopefully it the stat
Old 15 Oct 2010, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

oops never mind that post above just saw the stat is new did you bleed the air out from the coolant when you filled it up as air in the system will cause overheating to
Old 15 Oct 2010, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
oops never mind that post above just saw the stat is new did you bleed the air out from the coolant when you filled it up as air in the system will cause overheating to
very good point if sytem hasnt bled up 100% same overheating issue
Old 15 Oct 2010, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via Skype™ to carwisperer

you know of any good garages by you that have a head gasket fluid test kit (blue fluid goes green if head gasket has gone)detects combustion gases in the cooling system! shouldnt cost much and takes 5mins if the engine is already warm from your drive there,worth checking if you can just to put your mind at rest and eliminate the possibility of head gasket,i dont know what theyd charge??but i have the kit and charge 10 hope that helps and good luck dude
Old 15 Oct 2010, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwisperer View Post
you know of any good garages by you that have a head gasket fluid test kit (blue fluid goes green if head gasket has gone)detects combustion gases in the cooling system! shouldnt cost much and takes 5mins if the engine is already warm from your drive there,worth checking if you can just to put your mind at rest and eliminate the possibility of head gasket,i dont know what theyd charge??but i have the kit and charge 10 hope that helps and good luck dude
Usually the cost for that would be about 30 at most garages. but maybe worth it also a compression test which shouldn be too expensive either
Old 15 Oct 2010, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Thanks for all your replies!!!!

firstly, the whole system has been flushed and checked, im starting to think its the head gasket now unfortunatley i know the labour costs for the head gaskets at slowboyracing.co.uk is over 1000.00....

My mate is a mechanic and has a pressure tester for head gaskets at his garage which is a touch!, im actually pooing my pants now because the more i think about it the more it sound like gasket

also i know im losing water, and my mate pressure tested the cooling system and found 2 little leaks, but i know im still losing and i think i mite be burning water....

i must admit im driving around at the moment with out any anti freeze since we changed the pump and rad which is about 1 month... is this really bad ???

Cheers!!!!
Old 15 Oct 2010, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.a...ng&subCatID=31 as the lads said above but if it only 30quid to get the test done in garage might work out cheaper to go to garage then
Old 16 Oct 2010, 06:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Antifreeze has special additives in to stop corrosion inside the waterways in the engine so yes it's not a good idea running without any. Unfortunatly it will be an expensive job if it's the headgasket. But while your doing that it's a opportunity to maybe upgrade a few things while it's all apart. Hope it's not the headgasket for you mate
Old 18 Oct 2010, 01:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAutos View Post
Unfortunatly it will be an expensive job if it's the headgasket. But while your doing that it's a opportunity to maybe upgrade a few things while it's all apart. Hope it's not the headgasket for you mate
i know, me too mate, cheers i hope it isnt either...

what would you suggest getting changed or checked if it is the gasket ??

Luke
Old 18 Oct 2010, 01:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

it totally depends on your plans for the car. In my case im planning on uprating internals for big power so if i had an head gasket issue while i had it apart id do the upgrade work too. If you want bigger power then maybe uprated oil pump etc. as been an STI i should think you have forged pistons as standard IIRC.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 02:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAutos View Post
it totally depends on your plans for the car. In my case im planning on uprating internals for big power so if i had an head gasket issue while i had it apart id do the upgrade work too. If you want bigger power then maybe uprated oil pump etc. as been an STI i should think you have forged pistons as standard IIRC.
i would like to go bigger in the power department...but i would like to get a nice 350bhp, nothing more really (although saying that i probably will want to go bigger once im there lol).

on slowboyracing.co.uk it states that a ECU and a remap from them could get power increases from 30-50bhp with BASIC modifications. what basic mods do you think they mean ??

im pushing 280 at the moment but thats standard, ive only got a Apexi induction kit on it...
Old 18 Oct 2010, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemaugey View Post
i would like to go bigger in the power department...but i would like to get a nice 350bhp, nothing more really (although saying that i probably will want to go bigger once im there lol).

on slowboyracing.co.uk it states that a ECU and a remap from them could get power increases from 30-50bhp with BASIC modifications. what basic mods do you think they mean ??

im pushing 280 at the moment but thats standard, ive only got a Apexi induction kit on it...
Is it a classic or newage. If its newage you have a better base i believe. If its classic STI i would have thought Fuel Pump i recommend a HRC 255LPH one as they are made by Denso and cheaper than walbro. And also unless your running a fmic id also ditch the induction kit and get the standard airbox back on as they are well capable of the power your aiming for and a lot more reliable. Induction kits can cause many problems.What turbo are you running currently