Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Overheating Problem WRX STI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2011, 10:53 AM   #46 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Re: Overheating Problem WRX STI

Hi All,

I know its been a while, but finally got round to taking apart the car. Head Gaskets were the problem, found out my reconditioned engine was purchased from MRENGINE.NET which when i typed their name into Google came up with a lot of bad reviews, a few quoting that they bought reconditioned engines and the gaskets went.

Anyhow the car is apart, new head gaskets are going in, manifold is being painted Red back to its original colour, also painting the block silver aluminium colour, getting some engine bay de-greaser, going to bring the engine bay up to original colour, also putting new HT Ignition leads in, thermostat will now go back in now we've 100% identified the problem.

Will post pics when done hopefully, will look brand new again! but she's still being sold in august, so any interest let me know. And for those who have overheating problems good luck and I hope some of this info has helped !

Luke
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2011, 11:15 AM   #47 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi just to update you on my problem, had the heads skimed new gskts water pump timing belt and tensioners, put new stat in and it run fine for two days until it started pressurising again.

After much thought and replacing head gaskets agin still did the same,

found that the block or blocks were warped, had to buy new blocks and replaced so beware and check the blocks as well if the head gasket goes,

replaced all again drives mint with stat in no over heating and interior heater is like barbados

hope this helps other people.
Old 18 May 2011, 11:17 AM   #48 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

definitely going to check the block then, how do you check if there's something wrong with the block ?

thanks for the heads up, I was just assuming it would be sweet when all put back together

Cheers
Luke
Old 09 Sep 2011, 06:04 PM   #49 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hi i need a little help with this also. I have fitted a new alloy rad and silicon hose kit today. I have a manual fans switch and after i fitted the rad i ran the car until warm with the pressure cap off hoping to worm out any air locks, i did this for about 10 mins. At the same time i also put the heaters on full heat, but these stayed cold, so i suspected a problem. Just out of interest how much coolent should i put back in say out of a 5 litre concentrate tub, is it say 2.5 litres and .5 water for example. Ive never had to do this before so not sure if its an air lock or not enough coolent to water mixture? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Gareth
Old 09 Sep 2011, 08:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Cant remember exactly how much antifreeze i put in, 3 liters i think i put in. You have an air lock in the system if your heaters are cold. Did the car have the problem before you put the alloy rad on? Why have you got a manual fan switch? has the car over heated before?

When you drop the water and replace with new, your system will be full of air. These car can be a pig to get the air out, get a burper which will sit in the reservoir and fill with water and antifreeze. As the car runs turn the heaters on warm so it opens the matrix and allows the water to go through and push all the air out. As the car gets up to temp, the stat will open and the water level in the burper will go down, keep the water topped up so it dosnt run out and drag air in. squeezing water pipes round the system in the direction the water travels can release more air bubbles. You will see all the bubbles come out through the burper and make a burping noise. When all of the air bubbles have stopped coming out check ur heaters they should be boiling hot.

Hope this works and be paitient.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 10:49 AM   #51 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

yeah why do you have a manual fan switch ??