Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Overheating Problem WRX STI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2010, 03:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Re: Overheating Problem WRX STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAutos View Post
Is it a classic or newage. If its newage you have a better base i believe. If its classic STI i would have thought Fuel Pump i recommend a HRC 255LPH one as they are made by Denso and cheaper than walbro. And also unless your running a fmic id also ditch the induction kit and get the standard airbox back on as they are well capable of the power your aiming for and a lot more reliable. Induction kits can cause many problems.What turbo are you running currently
Its a classic shape mate (1996) well i havent done no mods to it at all, the induction kit came with the car...shall i get a standard one then ?

have no idea what turbo is on it ? how would i know, think its just the standard turbo that came with the car ??

Cheers!!!!!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2010, 03:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemaugey View Post
Its a classic shape mate (1996) well i havent done no mods to it at all, the induction kit came with the car...shall i get a standard one then ?

have no idea what turbo is on it ? how would i know, think its just the standard turbo that came with the car ??

Cheers!!!!!!
Definetly a fuel pump then (think your sti injectors will be ok). the turbo should have the type stamped on it. If its standard then im sure sumbody off here will be able to tell you what should be on it and what power it will max out at.
Old 19 Oct 2010, 08:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Definetly a fuel pump then (think your sti injectors will be ok). the turbo should have the type stamped on it. If its standard then im sure sumbody off here will be able to tell you what should be on it and what power it will max out at.
new fuel pump yeah ? funny thing is i broke down the other day, and the recovery bloke said it might be your fuel pump...i was driving normally, changed down into 2nd, pressed the accelerator and nothing, no revs at all ??? tried all the gears..now it wont start ???

Cheers mate, you've been a diamond !!
Old 19 Oct 2010, 10:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via Skype™ to carwisperer

Quote:
new fuel pump yeah ? funny thing is i broke down the other day, and the recovery bloke said it might be your fuel pump...i was driving normally, changed down into 2nd, pressed the accelerator and nothing, no revs at all ??? tried all the gears..now it wont start ???

Cheers mate, you've been a diamond !!
your turbo will be a TD05 or TD04 it will say this on the stamp as said which is just bellow the turbo intake,you may need a mirror to read it though as it in bit of tight spot
Old 19 Oct 2010, 10:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwisperer View Post
your turbo will be a TD05 or TD04 it will say this on the stamp as said which is just bellow the turbo intake,you may need a mirror to read it though as it in bit of tight spot
oh cool, cheers mate, i'll have a Look tonight!!!
Old 19 Oct 2010, 08:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Is it a classic or newage. If its newage you have a better base i believe. If its classic STI i would have thought Fuel Pump i recommend a HRC 255LPH one as they are made by Denso and cheaper than walbro.
JAutos!!, do you know where the fuel pump is located on my car ?? classic shape, version 3 i believe ??

checked out your website aswell! might be come up for a service and diagnostics if thats cool ?

cheers mate!!!!
Old 19 Oct 2010, 08:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

in the boot behind the rear seat(driverside)..
Old 20 Oct 2010, 08:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pilot View Post
in the boot behind the rear seat(driverside)..
Ah wicked...cheers matey !!!

ive been told to check the fuel injector relay incase it isnt the fuel pump, the rescue bloke said they go sometimes ?? is this common ??
Old 20 Oct 2010, 09:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

the relays can bugger up occcasionally never experienced any problems with mine,one thing to look at though it,under the back seat(drivers side)there's a electrical connection block for the fueling system,a mate had starting issues one day,drove to work,went to leave,and wouldn't fire,AA were called he couldn't find anything,i got called popped rear seat up and reconnected the plug and job done,we think his kids may have dislodged it when getting into their seats...
Old 20 Oct 2010, 09:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pilot View Post
the relays can bugger up occcasionally never experienced any problems with mine,one thing to look at though it,under the back seat(drivers side)there's a electrical connection block for the fueling system,a mate had starting issues one day,drove to work,went to leave,and wouldn't fire,AA were called he couldn't find anything,i got called popped rear seat up and reconnected the plug and job done,we think his kids may have dislodged it when getting into their seats...
saying that, we have been fiddling with the backseats, taking them out and stuff, because we needed to adjust the coilovers...so i'll check for that connection...

Cheers !!!!
Old 20 Oct 2010, 10:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
saying that, we have been fiddling with the backseats, taking them out and stuff, because we needed to adjust the coilovers...so i'll check for that connection...

Cheers !!!!
the pump is under a black cover behind the rear seat but not likely you disturbed any connections adjusting coilovers,do you hear the pump when ignition first on?
Old 20 Oct 2010, 10:22 AM   #27 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
the pump is under a black cover behind the rear seat but not likely you disturbed any connections adjusting coilovers,do you hear the pump when ignition first on?
oh ok then fair enough...errrmm to be honest, i dont notice things like that (im such a div when it comes to cars) however the rescue fella said to listen out for the noise of the fuel pump when i next turn on the ignition...he said if i dont hear anything then its pump, if i hear the normal fuel pump noise then its relay ???

sound right ???
Old 20 Oct 2010, 10:39 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Quote:
If its a genuine Version 3 STI shouldn't it be running a VF23 or if it's a JDM non-STI a VF22 as standard?
Old 20 Oct 2010, 10:46 AM   #29 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobymike79 View Post
If its a genuine Version 3 STI shouldn't it be running a VF23 or if it's a JDM non-STI a VF22 as standard?
the thing is, ive checked on the dates it was registered and made, so it should be a version 3, and its defo an import, however the guy before me had a recon engine put in and i dont know what he has put in...all it says on the engine is EJ20....he never said he had the turbo changed, so im assuming its the standard turbs....so its more than likely its a VF23 then ??

Cheers
Old 20 Oct 2010, 10:47 AM   #30 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
oh ok then fair enough...errrmm to be honest, i dont notice things like that (im such a div when it comes to cars) however the rescue fella said to listen out for the noise of the fuel pump when i next turn on the ignition...he said if i dont hear anything then its pump, if i hear the normal fuel pump noise then its relay ???

sound right ???
doesnt make you div mate,if you turn the ignition on are you getting the pump noise?you need quiet around you for this so you do hear it mate and if it is making a noise then id take off the fuel line on the top of your fuel filter under the bonnet and see if you get a delivery of fuel,if you do then it should start unless theres problem some where else mate if your really stuck ill pm you my number and talk you through it