Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

buying help (again)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2010, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

buying help (again)

Hi all,

I'm thinking about going to have a look at the car listed on carzone.ie

Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX STI - €4,950 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

Its a 1998 with only 55,000 k the clock. I just have a few questions if someone could be so kind. What version is it:
What are the known issues?If any:
What should I look out for on the test drive?:

It looks like an import so i doubt there will be any service history, but i'll check for belt changes and any other work! Engine wise what should i look for, other than head gasket and knocking(Obvious stuff), same for the gearbox. I have no experience with an impreza so i would rather do my homework before looking.(so ask the experts ) ANY and i mean ANY help advice or suggestions are welcome.

Cheers in advance

Rob
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2010, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: buying help (again)

its a version 4, although its not standard. there's a buying guide on here somewhere,,, not sure where its stored, sure someone will link it for you.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi Tidgy,

whats not standered on it?(looks live bonnet and spoiler to me) It might give me and idea whats been done. Hopefully only cosmetic stuff. Plus i will have a look for VER4 common problems. I found the buyers guide but thats all stuff i'd look for anyway. Really i was looking for specific problems with the ver4. It looks clean and at 5k seems about right.(cars like these have pluimited in price over the last 2 years) Worth a look?????
Old 30 Sep 2010, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

bonnet scoop's, wheels, front mount intercooler, spoiler, exhaust, gauges, pedal set are visible but without seeing under the bonnet no idea what else.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ok, so she's been molested a bit. that kinda puts me off. I might try a few lads on some irish forums see if i can nab someone to come with me and have a look. not having owned one its hard to know what to look for. Thanks again Tidgy
Old 30 Sep 2010, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

no probs, its a bit of pitfall for new owners, alot of the imports come in with mods to various degrees, the importers tend not to be very good at spotting mods or they deliberatly don;t mention them. i also spotted more after i posted

stereo
some sort of display hidden behind steering wheel
brake disks (guess pads as well, not realy worth worrying about though)
orange indicators replaced with clear/white
number plate location

so its had plenty done to it.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Eagle eyes. The only plus side somewhat is the milage. Though ususally people who mod cars tend to look after them. I'm a pretty handy diy mechanic, but it helps if you know what your looking for. It looks lovely and clean so I think it might be worth a look. I have a trade in so really it might only end up costing me 3500euro. Thats not bad for a car like an sti.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

granted the veihicle has been tweeked in various way,but looks like it's been done well,well worth having a ganders and roadtest,only real thing to look for is wear n tear,with that mileage i'd says its all ok and the STi units are good power plants
Old 30 Sep 2010, 09:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Yeah. i'd look for play /vagueness in the steering and uneven wear to the tires. The rubber bushes tend not to fare well over time. I believe the suspension is excellent and should not cause too many problems. should pull well in all gears and no notchy changes(again i have read 3-4 should be checked. Watch for whining from the box or 4x4 system. Other than that just the ususal checks that apply to any car really.

Hope shes as good as she looks.

Thanks Lads. Been really helpful. Wish me luck.

Rob
Old 30 Sep 2010, 10:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

you should be good to go bud,also just check the front discs,make sure the wear is even and they aren't warped
Old 30 Sep 2010, 10:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Where abouts are you. There is are a few cars for sale on sdcni - maybe one would suit you?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 10:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

In Ireland. just outside Dublin. i imported before and really dont fancy it again. too much hastle really so if i can find what i need locally i'll go for that option.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 10:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ok, i'll check the disks to be sure. I dont mind if i have to spend a few quid on parts just to get her 100%. Just nothing major. P.s I'll assume the waterpump should have been done with the belt change, should the idlers and tensioner have been done too or will it be ok if they are not?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

personaly i'd want to sneak it on a dyno on the test drive if i could, no guarenties the map is good for the mods or for uk fuel
Old 30 Sep 2010, 10:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Big problem here in Ireland is the unavailability of super. Any import will needed mapped to 95ron straight away as japan uses 100 ron. It will be risky to drive it on Irish fuel with out this done