Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

buying help (again)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2010, 11:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: buying help (again)

Well if i do buy i'll get the map checked. AFAIK icetronics in newcastle do it. Buy finding somewhere to check should no be to easy.

Yeah, i donk know anywhere that sells super??
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2010, 11:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

I'm luckier there are 3 places close to Derry but all there are a 22 mile trip. It's a joke that it's so hard to get here. Be great if we could get some of that 99 stuff they get in England!
Old 30 Sep 2010, 11:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Yeah, but higher octain = more power. more power = more money at the pumps. Plus i'd feel guilty putting 99 in it and not spanking her every day would be a waste of fule..lol
Old 30 Sep 2010, 04:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Welcome to the site Rob
Old 30 Sep 2010, 04:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
Big problem here in Ireland is the unavailability of super. Any import will needed mapped to 95ron straight away as japan uses 100 ron. It will be risky to drive it on Irish fuel with out this done
Do ye have Maxol Petrol stations up your way E5 Questions & Answers*-*Maxol Group - Fuel For All Engines. Maxol is Ireland's leading independent oil company the unleaded E5 petrol is rated at 99ron we have it down here in Cork and the rest of the other cities in Ireland heres the petrol station locations E5 Stations*-*Maxol Group - Fuel For All Engines. Maxol is Ireland's leading independent oil company car feels great running it
Old 30 Sep 2010, 05:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Only stuff I can get close to home is e85 and the car isn't mapped for it (yet) got a hyperflow tmic and sports cat in the pipeline and a 3 port sitting here. Gonna get a fuel pump and injectors fitted all at the same time and map it then. Will prob take me a few months to gather the parts. It will be an e85 mapping sessions after that and hopefully about 300bhp. Anyone advise what size of injectors to run on e85 with those mods. I already have a decatted up pipe and rear cat, an apexi induction kit and h&s centre and prodrive rear box.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 05:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking_bob View Post
Yeah, but higher octain = more power. more power = more money at the pumps. Plus i'd feel guilty putting 99 in it and not spanking her every day would be a waste of fule..lol
I find I get more mpg on higher octane stuff
Old 30 Sep 2010, 06:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Yeah but i read an article that survayed petrols. Shell v power came in about 5% more power over other high octane brands. .There is a maxol up just off the m50 but it's way way outta the way. Dont think Apple Green don any, there's a topaz in wicklow and an esso, dont think either dose it, must check bray. there might be a pump there.
Old 01 Oct 2010, 03:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

See link for checklist on what to look out when buying covers everything, thats if you haven't bought already

Subaru Impreza - Buying Checklist

Old 02 Oct 2010, 07:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I rekon you need to go look at the car first, with such low mileage on the clock you want to know why they're getting rid of it. If you're like me, you'll never part with your baby unless it's fubar'd! Chuck it on the dyno and get a full system review. Main problems with the imprezza at that mileage is that someone drove the thing and either: 1) thrashed it without a warmup; or 2) screwed the turbo right over; or 3) they're been messing with the boost and screwed the block; or 4) the pistons are about to screw up or they got a quick fix on the headgasket/manifold and there's air in the system. Loads of stuff really!

Check for a noise on startup;
Go test drive it on the motor way, look for loss of power or a wobble at the top end of the gears;
Check temp is stable and you can't smell oil - for oil you'll have to drive it a bit (maybe 15-25mins)
TBH there's a whole load of stuff that you could check, but your best bet is to go get a service on it and see what's the dealio.

Mind you I'm a newbie too, this is just my experience from my prez and my damn rover 214 (caterham supersport convert) that had to much bhp for the chassis - was always changing gearbox and head gasket!!!
Old 02 Oct 2010, 07:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking_bob View Post
If you put anything less in, though, you'll screw your engine over! Problem with high performance cars - need as pure a petrol with less impurities for long lasting satisfaction
Old 02 Oct 2010, 11:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by girgis2000 View Post
I rekon you need to go look at the car first, with such low mileage on the clock you want to know why they're getting rid of it. If you're like me, you'll never part with your baby unless it's fubar'd! Chuck it on the dyno and get a full system review. Main problems with the imprezza at that mileage is that someone drove the thing and either: 1) thrashed it without a warmup; or 2) screwed the turbo right over; or 3) they're been messing with the boost and screwed the block; or 4) the pistons are about to screw up or they got a quick fix on the headgasket/manifold and there's air in the system. Loads of stuff really!

Check for a noise on startup;
Go test drive it on the motor way, look for loss of power or a wobble at the top end of the gears;
Check temp is stable and you can't smell oil - for oil you'll have to drive it a bit (maybe 15-25mins)
TBH there's a whole load of stuff that you could check, but your best bet is to go get a service on it and see what's the dealio.

Mind you I'm a newbie too, this is just my experience from my prez and my damn rover 214 (caterham supersport convert) that had to much bhp for the chassis - was always changing gearbox and head gasket!!!

Yeah, i'd rather get compression test and external oil pressure test done, but for 5k i doubt they would go for it. I'd spot a failing head gasket and ANY funny noises i'd walk away. There are others i found on another website i never knew about so i'll have a look at a few. But thanks for the advice mate.
Old 03 Oct 2010, 05:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

that is one ugly car mate
Old 03 Oct 2010, 11:09 PM   #29 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyfield View Post
that is one ugly car mate

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old 09 Oct 2010, 07:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

you should of gone to spec savers mate