Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Sorry - more questions form a noob with a sccob!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2010, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Sorry - more questions form a noob with a sccob!

I picked up an 03 WRX Blobeye Wagon last week and I'm getting to know it slowly, it is in for MOT right now so fingers crossed there are no nasties!

Rather than start a thread for every question I think I'll just stick them here in one place for now.

1 - in the coin tray (by drivers right knee) there is a key pad full of numbered buttons - am I right to assume this is some aftermarket alarm/immobiliser? And if so I'd best not touch it?

2 - the red light next to the clock - what is this one for? It comes on when I switch the ignition on but doesn't stay on. Doesn't seem to be mentioned in the handbook.

3 - Does the immobiliser set itself automatically? For instance if I run the engine, then switch off without removing the key - it seems to immobilise itself and I need to remove the key, lock and unlock the car before I can start it again?

4 - I have a knocking noise from the rear somewhere - sounds like something clonking around in the spare wheel well but it isn't. Maybe the MOT will spot something but if not am I right in believing the shocks are a common problem?

Thanks in advance - sorry if I'm being a pain
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2010, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Sorry - more questions form a noob with a sccob!

Hi mate,

1. That will be for your alarm/immobiliser as you suspect.

2. Does the light have any symbol/writing on it? If so what is it?

3. Don't know.

4. Could be a rear shock which seems quite a common issue on new age cars. Failing that could just be the jack knocking around (though not sure where they are in the new age). Mine did this so I stuffed a towel in with the jack and problem solved.
Old 04 Sep 2010, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
3 - Does the immobiliser set itself automatically? For instance if I run the engine, then switch off without removing the key - it seems to immobilise itself and I need to remove the key, lock and unlock the car before I can start it again?
You have a UK "sigma" alarm/immobiliser system in your car.

This PDF user operating instructions should help.

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/uploads...m30_manual.pdf

Old 04 Sep 2010, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
1 - in the coin tray (by drivers right knee) there is a key pad full of numbered buttons - am I right to assume this is some aftermarket alarm/immobiliser? And if so I'd best not touch it?
Best not touch the pad if you did not get 2 small self-adhesive labels with the pin code. The code is for the emergency override.

Old 04 Sep 2010, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

The red LED is next to where the digi clock should be (it isn't there!) - just an LED, no markings.

Thanks for the link to the immobiliser, I'll have a read - but might not have the bottle to change anything as I don't have any stickers with pin codes!
Old 04 Sep 2010, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Oh, it passed the MOT with no problems so very happy I bought it on eBay without looking at it first (very risky) and it only had 2 weeks MOT on it - but it seems to have turned out fine.
Old 04 Sep 2010, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Congrats on passing the MOT.

Quote:
the red light next to the clock - what is this one for? It comes on when I switch the ignition on but doesn't stay on. Doesn't seem to be mentioned in the handbook
Its part of the alarm/immobiliser system.

Old 04 Sep 2010, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

check to make sure that the exhaust rubbers are not gone at the back cheap problem to fix, that may be causing the knocking sound. and again locate the jack could be that banging around, mines in the passenger side wall in the back but i have a 96 wagon

congrats on new car and passing the mot
Old 28 Sep 2010, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

if you cant start the car after you have turned pff the engine then try pressing the key fob as the imobiliser may have been set as this does it after 1minute. could be wrong but i have had a simular problem and that was the solution. Hope it helps fella Ben
Old 01 Oct 2010, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
I picked up an 03 WRX Blobeye Wagon last week and I'm getting to know it slowly, it is in for MOT right now so fingers crossed there are no nasties!

I drive an 04 and it does, you just have to press the keyfob without removing the key and it should start ok without locking/unlocking the car and should start ok.