Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Doors lock automatically when ignition on - can this be changed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2010, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Doors lock automatically when ignition on - can this be changed?

Yesterday I replaced the battery on my 03 WRX Blobeye Wagon that I bought last week and I think this has changed the way the doors lock (although I might have just forgotten how it worked last week!). As soon as the ignition is on the doors all lock and when I switch it off they unlock. Is this normal and can it be changed?

Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2010, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Doors lock automatically when ignition on - can this be changed?

Replacing the battery won't change the way the doors lock. Press the lock on the door when you are inside, it could be that

Old 04 Sep 2010, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Could be the settings on the Sigma alarm, the one in mine did all kinds of weird stuff. It was locking when I got in the car within 30 secs and then as you say unlocking when I removed the key to get out. Once out of the car it locked again within 30 secs by itself, would have been buggered if I had left my keys in! I tryed messing with the keypad using the manual but it's not easy. I took it to Subaru in the end and had it reprogrammed and the antenna interference issue sorted out.
Old 05 Sep 2010, 07:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Yeah I have a toad that does the same thing, I don't know if it annoys me or not ... it all depends on wether you found the codes yet for your alarm, you said in an earlier thread that you were worried about putting numbers into that keypad, well the procedure for making it not lock the doors automatically will start with putting numbers into that keypad I'm afraid, or maybe some routine with the key and the ignition positions, and then putting numbers into that keypad, or vice versa .... bottom line, you need the numbers for your alarm ...

Wild stab in the dark, but if you can't find numbers, on mine if you leave the door open when you put the key in the ignition the doors do not lock ... maybe a work around till you can get numbers or an alarm system that you understand well enough to use ...

I wouldn't feel bad, I fitted my toad ( for remote start, though never wired it in ), and the feeling I get when I think of reprogramming it is definitely fear ...

On a side note, it's sort of funny to watch new passengers when they first get in and you fire her up, wait a second for the doors to lock before you pull away, they'll leave it a minute and then think wtf is gonna happen here, and say outloud, all or one of the following "what is that noise when you change gear", "why did the doors lock when we drove away", "wow, that is loud", "wow, that is fast", "ouch my neck", the doors locking automatically sort of creates an "atmosphere", especially if you time it right and look at them when it happens, then drive away ...

Last edited by joebucks; 05 Sep 2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05 Sep 2010, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks, I am going to leave the keypad alone! I now realise that if I start the engine before I close the door then it doesn't lock. Also, if I don't start the engine soon enough the immobiliser cuts in - but even with the key in the ignition if I press the unlock button it then disarms it again so that is fine.
Old 05 Sep 2010, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Thanks, I am going to leave the keypad alone! I now realise that if I start the engine before I close the door then it doesn't lock. Also, if I don't start the engine soon enough the immobiliser cuts in - but even with the key in the ignition if I press the unlock button it then disarms it again so that is fine.

Enjoy your car.