Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Hoping to Buy - Complication!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Sep 2010, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hoping to Buy - Complication!

tonight I am one step closer to the dream car. The problem is that my current insurer wont cover it. So I will need to view the car. Pay deposit. Cancel current insurance. Purhcase new policy using no claims bonus from start of the current policy. Obviously then wont be able to drive current car so will need a lift to pick up the new car. Am I missing anything here? Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2010, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: Hoping to Buy - Complication!

Start your new insurance. You will have a couple of weeks to provide evidence of your ncb. Cancel your old policy when you are done driving your old car
Old 04 Sep 2010, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
Start your new insurance. You will have a couple of weeks to provide evidence of your ncb. Cancel your old policy when you are done driving your old car
Hi, this is very tempted but it seems a bit risky. If the new insurer where to find out that the old policy overlaps, they could claim I am not elligible to use the existing no claims bonus.

Having real difficulty finding a competitive quote too!

Last edited by wannaimprezawrx; 04 Sep 2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04 Sep 2010, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

If your fully comp and over 25 you should be covered to drive any vehicle 3rd party on your current insurance
Old 05 Sep 2010, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobymike79 View Post
If your fully comp and over 25 you should be covered to drive any vehicle 3rd party on your current insurance
I will look into this.... must check current insurance as I dont think they add this automatically anymore.

this is such a tough one. I had previously ruled this car out as although i could afford the car, the insurance, tax and fuel would be a killer. But since I've now found it for a better price it makes it just about affordable!

Still a difficult decision!

Literally trying to think of things to justify it and ways I can save elsewhere.... may have to start charing people for lifts!
Old 06 Sep 2010, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

You said that you where cancelling your policy. This means that the ncb you are carrying was to the end of your last year. If you don't cancel this year till you are ready I don't see what difference your ncb for this year will make as it won't be counted anyway. Ring both insurance companies and ask them would be the easiest way to find out
Old 06 Sep 2010, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
depending on the underwriter of your current insurance, you may not even need fully comp to be insured on everyone elses car ... I'm with ecarinsurance.co.uk, they are underwritten by southern rock and my third party fire and theft insurance on scooby allows me to drive anything else with permission ...

you'll only have to put up with the headache of insurance for a day or so, it's worth it, my insurance is extortionate - 2900 a year on a 1995 standard uk turbo, but I pay it, it's worth every penny
Old 06 Sep 2010, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
You said that you where cancelling your policy. This means that the ncb you are carrying was to the end of your last year. If you don't cancel this year till you are ready I don't see what difference your ncb for this year will make as it won't be counted anyway. Ring both insurance companies and ask them would be the easiest way to find out
This is true.... I will speak to them... I just dont want to risk the new insurer claiming the no claims isnt valid due to the current policy still running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebucks View Post
depending on the underwriter of your current insurance, you may not even need fully comp to be insured on everyone elses car ... I'm with ecarinsurance.co.uk, they are underwritten by southern rock and my third party fire and theft insurance on scooby allows me to drive anything else with permission ...

you'll only have to put up with the headache of insurance for a day or so, it's worth it, my insurance is extortionate - 2900 a year on a 1995 standard uk turbo, but I pay it, it's worth every penny
yeah!
Old 07 Sep 2010, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i reckon i would own the car by now if i wasnt concerned with the insurance, tax & fuel... last night i dreamt i started a a thread on another site asking for donation! scary
Old 07 Sep 2010, 09:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:

Only if the vehicle is insured elsewhere.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 09:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaimprezawrx View Post
tonight I am one step closer to the dream car. The problem is that my current insurer wont cover it. So I will need to view the car. Pay deposit. Cancel current insurance. Purhcase new policy using no claims bonus from start of the current policy. Obviously then wont be able to drive current car so will need a lift to pick up the new car. Am I missing anything here? Thanks
Who's your insurer ?

Have you asked them to do a Temp Add Vehicle ?

I think your best option is to ring a decent broker, explain the situation and ask them to find the insurance for the Scooby with an understanding that the NCB won't be immediately available.
You may find that an insurer will accept this or only charge a small AP for the period the NCB is in dual use.
Old 09 Sep 2010, 11:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-WRX-Import View Post
Who's your insurer ?

Have you asked them to do a Temp Add Vehicle ?

I think your best option is to ring a decent broker, explain the situation and ask them to find the insurance for the Scooby with an understanding that the NCB won't be immediately available.
You may find that an insurer will accept this or only charge a small AP for the period the NCB is in dual use.
Current insurer is Lloyds. They wont insure the new car at all, so temporary is also out of the question.
Old 10 Sep 2010, 12:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Hi mate,

Have you tried elephant, I have found them to be reasonable, but they usually seem to put the premium up at renewal time.
Old 10 Sep 2010, 10:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaimprezawrx View Post
i reckon i would own the car by now if i wasnt concerned with the insurance, tax & fuel... last night i dreamt i started a a thread on another site asking for donation! scary
Aww poor you what a bummer - insurance companies are a bit of sore point on this site.

There will be some insurer out there that will take you but bump the premium up no doubt
Old 10 Sep 2010, 12:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

if the other car is insured by old owner and your over 25 then generally your covered 3rd party anyway. secondly you have 2 weeks to supply your NCD discount to your new insurer anyway and as such you can use it on new policy as your cancelling old one. you would be fine on this as cancel old policy at midnight on say the 21st and start the new policy from midnight 20th which is fine 1 day overap. i have done this many times before a got my traders policy