Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

six years of ownership and MOT's, and this has only just come to my attention!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2010, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

six years of ownership and MOT's, and this has only just come to my attention!

Hiya folks,
Have i been dumb or have i been duped??
six years of ownership, two imprezas and six MOT's, and i've just come to the realisation that my brakes get tested on a two wheel drive roller. Does this mean it can damage the LSD or centre diff?

How do other people get their brakes tested?

Andrew
Old 25 Aug 2010, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Technical_Bob
Re: six years of ownership and MOT's, and this has only just come to my attention!

depends if its a 2 wheel or 4 wheel system, do they have to shuffle the car from axle to axle to do the brake test or are all 4 wheels on rollers,
If they only have a 2 wheel system then yes they should be doing it on the road with the correct meter,
if its a 4 wheel system then your ok as the none tested axle will still rotate,
I use a independent place and the guy who tests it has a scoob also, I asked when I first went and thats how it was explained.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Re: six years of ownership and MOT's, and this has only just come to my attention!

It's definately a 2wd roller. As you say it has to moved axle to axle to test the rears and then the fronts. I'm a bit fooked off. Ihave to go back to the station today for a retest as my fog light and reg plate light were not working.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

I went to a Subaru main dealer for my MOT. "4 wheel system"

As Brett said. If they only have a 2 wheel system then they should be doing it on the road.

Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2010, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via Skype™ to carwisperer

thats not right then!!
Old 25 Aug 2010, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
reg plate light were not working.

Old 25 Aug 2010, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Yep, reg plate light,,, so petty.

I've just been back and brought it up and they said they've never had a problem and always test this way. I asked if they ever use on the road testing and they said never. I asked to see the VT40 document tht the tester prints out as a guide to the specific car (which will state whether there is any specfic testing perameters needed) and the tester said he did not know where it was and they don't have to keep them.

I have now phoned VOSA for advice and asked for a copy of the VT40 and they said they keep no record and they could not issue me with a copy. The did say that the car should not have been tested on a 2wd roller and told me to take it up with my local VOSA enforcer, and if damge has been done then to tell my local council trading standards.

I will speak to the garage owner on Friday who i know fairly well and see what he has to say. It would be nice to get in writing that the test to my car was done in this way.

What are the chnces that damage has been done? do the rollers only do a couple of slow revolutions?

Last edited by brumbrum; 25 Aug 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

any number of revolutions different between axles with a 4wd car and lsd could potentially damage the lsd as it can "wind up" the diff.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 04:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

This is good to know, as mine is being MOT'd shortly.

Shaken brake test in Japan was always done on a 4 wheel system as used the same rollers as the speedo calibration test, so at least I know no damage has been done so far.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

same thing sort off. my mate almost got his car towed away a few weeks back as it had broken down in town and he had to wait till pay day to get the part to fix it. but the police wanted it moved and decided in there wisdom to try and tow it. lucky we he turned up at the right time with the part to fix it. the pick up guy didnt relize it was a AWD and had to be on the back of a lorry not just towed. could have been expensive
Old 25 Aug 2010, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
Hiya folks,
Have i been dumb or have i been duped??
six years of ownership, two imprezas and six MOT's, and i've just come to the realisation that my brakes get tested on a two wheel drive roller. Does this mean it can damage the LSD or centre diff?

How do other people get their brakes tested?

Andrew
Very Interesting point Andrew as I got my car through the first Mot (NCT) here since I got it and they tested it the exact same way as a normal car with 2 wheel drive and they tested it with 2 wheel system shown in pic, I imagine this is what you mean freaking out myself now as I was thinking this myself before even going for the test but tester said they always have Evos and Imprezas in for the test and never problems with them on them rollers but I wouldnt trust the tester at all and know what ye guys are saying
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test1.jpg (26.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 25 Aug 2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 11:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Bloody good point, never thought of this before. Very interested to know for sure if we can avoid the rollers test on the MOT.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 11:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-WRX-Import View Post
Bloody good point, never thought of this before. Very interested to know for sure if we can avoid the rollers test on the MOT.
I cant belive that they are testing 4wd cars on the 2 wheel system rollers well if they f**ked up my diffs they be getting a nice bill I'll ask a fella thats a tester and he comes into the garage from time to time and see what he says about it
Old 25 Aug 2010, 11:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

My BMW X3 is due its first mot in a couple of months. I know what question I'll be asking !
Old 26 Aug 2010, 02:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

A friend of mine had an impreza tested twice and they never went near the rollers, they instead done a stop test in the car park with the aid of a guage placed on the passenger seat, that gives an indication of the braking force, so if they are putting four wheel or all wheel drive cars on the rollers they are not very bright and need to be told its not the way to do it, but then they should know that