Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Borking out manily going uphill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2010, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Borking out manily going uphill

hey all, just bought subaru impreza off my uncle cheap and just a few small issues with the car, it sometimes feels like its borking out when i put my footdown manily going up hill in 3rd gear onwards, 1st thing i thought would be spark plugs or fuel filter ? , its a non turbo, just the 2litre sport

this hard job for diy at home? what other things should i consider looking at in the morning

cheers
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2010, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Borking out manily going uphill

could be 02 or maff sensor if ur loosing power,
Does it only do it on 1 hill ? if so it could be a fuel pick up issue( the sock maybe dirty in the tank)
Could be a few things really.
Old 24 Jul 2010, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

As above could be your o2 sensor or your maf sensor etc... Check HT leads also. When was it last serviced?
Old 26 Jul 2010, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i Havant got any details when it was last serviced but i know my uncle rebuilt the engine and was running fine for 4month this problem is just recent

changed spark plugs, cleaned the HT Leads and the connectors. where the HT Lead plugs onto the connector on left side was dirty as and right side looked new so cleaned up and replaced. changed the air filters as they where minging.

but car still doing it now i believe its a fuel issue

its not just uphill its anywhere really. whe you travel at a constant speed then put your put down it dies then all of suddan the power comes in. but only does it at times, from a standstill if you accelerate through all the gears its fine

saying that when i bought the car. the fuel gauge was below empty so could of picked up some rubbish from tank and blocking the filter?

haven't changed the fuel filter. whats the sock in the tank. they hard to change or clean. how much work is it to do it

cheers for the advise, very much appreciated
Old 26 Jul 2010, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris01 View Post
i Havant got any details when it was last serviced but i know my uncle rebuilt the engine and was running fine for 4month this problem is just recent

changed spark plugs, cleaned the HT Leads and the connectors. where the HT Lead plugs onto the connector on left side was dirty as and right side looked new so cleaned up and replaced. changed the air filters as they where minging.

but car still doing it now i believe its a fuel issue

its not just uphill its anywhere really. whe you travel at a constant speed then put your put down it dies then all of suddan the power comes in. but only does it at times, from a standstill if you accelerate through all the gears its fine

saying that when i bought the car. the fuel gauge was below empty so could of picked up some rubbish from tank and blocking the filter?

haven't changed the fuel filter. whats the sock in the tank. they hard to change or clean. how much work is it to do it

cheers for the advise, very much appreciated
This guide may help with the removal, I think there pretty much the same on the sports model sure somebody will correct me if not - Walbro Fuel pump replacment and How to change the Fuel Filter

Last edited by scoobymike79; 26 Jul 2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 26 Jul 2010, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Another guide.

How to change the Fuel Filter

Old 26 Jul 2010, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris01 View Post

As what you said their reckon it could be a fuel issue and as above Id have a look at that pick up sock in the fuel tank for the fuel pump and Id change the filter hopefully that sort it
Old 29 Jul 2010, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

changed the fuel filter for sake of 6 , cant complain. whilst doing it i noticed fuel pipe going into filter was leaking so would this cause lack of pressure? not enough fuel into engine?.

well i changed it and fixed the fuel leak. the car is amasing on petrol now, its 10times better then my MG TF160,

im just woundering how much bhp these 2litre sport run at as far as i can gather, its got cold air induction kit (ram air) and straight through exhaust system which sounds lush. its Y'reg and feels so slow to what i usually drive

im really considering part ex'ing it and getting turbo version or can i get extra ponys out of a NA Engine. red line tops at 6,000rpm isnt it? why so low

cheers
Old 29 Jul 2010, 10:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

If you can afford the insurance change, then mod that lol