Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Fitting New sensor/Valve?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2010, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Fitting New sensor/Valve?

Hi just looking for a bit of help on this problem.. Basically my engine managment light had been on for a few weeks so took it to my local gargage for them to hook upto the diagnostic machine which brought up the error for a faulty idle vavle, He reset the ecu and light went off. A few days later it came back on with the same fault so i rang up subaru and ordered a new Idle air control valve.

After forking out 400+ for a new IAC valve i came home and fitted it as its only a 2 second job. I was told that when you fit new sensors you either have to drive a few hundred miles for the ecu to learn the new configurations, or have your ecu reset by a diagnostic machine so the ecu can relearn everything.

So i fit the idle valve and then made my way to the garage... on the way to the garage the car felt a bit odd as i was expecting, but happily the main problem which was when releasing the accelerator the car would jerk forward as it was going to into idle mode which is extremley annoying when driving round town was near enough fixed, with the old vavle it would happen every time i released the acclerator but now it was driving pretty nice and only jerking forward 10% of the times. Anyways i got to the garage and they reset the ecu but ive just drove home and the car feels exactly the same as the old vavle? Sluggish accleration, feels like its going to die at junctions and that annoying jerk forward everytime i release the acclerator. This is the first sensor/valve ive had fitted to this subaru so this is new to me. The journey home was 20 miles, would that of been long enough for the ecu and vavle to sort it self out or am i being impatient?

Any help or comments would be appreciated as im abit worried that ive spent 400 on a part that hasnt fixed the problem.

Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Fitting New sensor/Valve?

400 for an ICV...hell!!!! new one could be faulty..

maybe worth doing a MAF test,as if can throw up the same issues with running as the ICV..

only place i can think of that would probably be able to assist you is Severn Valley Motorsport in Ironbidge,not sure if they are still going or not,i used them in the early 90's when i lived in Shifnal..

Last edited by The Pilot; 30 Jun 2010 at 09:53 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote