Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Fuel Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2010, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Fuel Question

Just wondering I fill up my car every week to the top then following week I might only have used a 1/4 tank of petrol and fill it up again may do this for a few weeks depending on driving it should I really be using the full tank of fuel before filling up again to use out the older fuel? just wanted to know does the ron rating drop after awhile the petrol in the tank I'am mapped for 95ron???? anybody
Old 11 Jun 2010, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Fuel Question

I have heard that fuel does "go off", but would imagine if that's the case it would take more than the few weeks it takes for that fuel to get through the system.

On the flip side, I've read of many people that always run their cars at over half a tank to avoid fuel starvation under hard cornering, especially on track days..
Old 11 Jun 2010, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I read it can go off after a few weeks under certain conditions i.e. air and heat etc. Topping up should be ok, but i suppose the quality could deteriorate over time.

If i were you i would let it run down a little bit more before filling, say run it down (not right down) every four weeks or so maybe?

Many moons ago i had a VW Scirocco and ran out of petrol once, after that it would cut out, none of my friends knew what was up so, i had to book it into a VW garage thinking they would know straight away, they did eventually but only after spending hours on the engine, all the sedament from the tank was getting stuck in the fuel pipes, needless to say for them to look at the car and find the problem cost me 600 but i didn't have enough money to actually replace the fuel pipes

So with a 600 bill for a car that wasn't actually fixed meant i had to complain a LOT they then advised me to keep the tank half full and it bloody worked
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2010, 02:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

check this Does petrol/gas have a use by date, or can it be stored for years? | Answerbag should give you the answers you need. out of intrest having the mapped to 95ron. does that affect the BHP and strain on the engine having to burn lower garde but give the same compresion? and as its mapped for 95 do you still only put 95 in and what would happen if you put 99 ron in?
Old 12 Jun 2010, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix View Post
check this [url=http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/557467]out of intrest having the mapped to 95ron. does that affect the BHP and strain on the engine having to burn lower garde but give the same compresion? and as its mapped for 95 do you still only put 95 in and what would happen if you put 99 ron in?
The sole reason for the use of the high octane fuel is to stop the fuel detonating too early under high compression, causing knock or det. Since you cant alter the compression ratio without changing out a lot of parts that's not really an option. Personally wouldn't be happy running my car on 95, mapped for it or not. Would need to ask a mapper though really, but I believe they alter the ignition to account for this so it runs safely but you would lose a fair bit of power.

If you put 99 ron in a car mapped for 95 then not much would happen as it would still ignite when required to. 95 in a car mapped for 99 (or even 97) is a different story.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
check this [url=http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/557467]
Interesting read. I've had a full tank of 100 ron in my car now for 10 weeks. may have to add a bottle of octane booster until that is used.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

I run mine on 99 ron. Better safe than sorry
Old 12 Jun 2010, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharmore View Post
If i were you i would let it run down a little bit more before filling, say run it down (not right down) every four weeks or so maybe?
Sounds good I'll be doing that
Old 12 Jun 2010, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
check this Does petrol/gas have a use by date, or can it be stored for years? | Answerbag should give you the answers you need. out of intrest having the mapped to 95ron. does that affect the BHP and strain on the engine having to burn lower garde but give the same compresion? and as its mapped for 95 do you still only put 95 in and what would happen if you put 99 ron in?
Great read that link will be letting the full tank run out close to empty after 3-4 weeks then fill up fresh fuel again, unfortunately highest octane here is 95 as apart some garages in Dublin have E5 99ron but still waiting to get it here but Bob Rawle said it be fine once it mapped of course, but before the map had to run it with octane booster as would proberbly have detonated on the normal 95 ron and as Wayne said the map sorted the ignition to make it run safe on the 95ron but I did lose some horsepower getting it mapped for 95ron as oppossed if I got it mapped for 99ron if I could so hurry up Maxol and bring down the 99ron here
Old 13 Jun 2010, 05:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

always better to be safe then sorry so minimum 97 ron for me, altho i did have to put 5 of 95 ron in the other day as i was well low. saying that i do actually keep my car at less then half a tank not thru choice just bloody skint lol and at 1.20 a litre it hurts. misses dont mind tho as she get the tecos club point lol.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 11:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

I've tried my car on maxol 97. Getting more power from topaz 97. Still wish we could get 99 over here. I live 3 miles from tesco and 12 from the nearest petrol station with super. Which is 1.32 a litre. Let's remember that our cars where designed for 98. Don't know how the oil companies got away with dropping it and risking customers engines
Old 16 Jun 2010, 09:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
Great read that link will be letting the full tank run out close to empty after 3-4 weeks then fill up fresh fuel again, unfortunately highest octane here is 95 as apart some garages in Dublin have E5 99ron but still waiting to get it here but Bob Rawle said it be fine once it mapped of course, but before the map had to run it with octane booster as would proberbly have detonated on the normal 95 ron and as Wayne said the map sorted the ignition to make it run safe on the 95ron but I did lose some horsepower getting it mapped for 95ron as oppossed if I got it mapped for 99ron if I could so hurry up Maxol and bring down the 99ron here
I was just about to PM you to ask if they have 99ron around here. Am I risking doing some damage having my car running on 95? I presume it hasn't been mapped for it. It's an English car originally (04 STI PPP) and has been in Ireland since '06, presumably running on 95 as 99 doesn't seem to exist around Ireland.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 11:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenf View Post
I was just about to PM you to ask if they have 99ron around here. Am I risking doing some damage having my car running on 95? I presume it hasn't been mapped for it. It's an English car originally (04 STI PPP) and has been in Ireland since '06, presumably running on 95 as 99 doesn't seem to exist around Ireland.
Well if it not mapped for the 95ron it can damage the engine yes due to detonation, but as it a UK car I dont know do they map it for the 95ron as the base map or what? and then up to you to put the 99ron in if it were over in UK so some one might be able to answer that for you? Maxol E5 is 99ron but searched it ages ago and was only available in Michelstown but they must have just rolled out in the city and county now about time just did a search have a look here just make sure it marked E5 thats the 99ron petrol E5 Stations*-*Maxol Group - Fuel For All Engines. Maxol is Ireland's leading independent oil company it will also tell you here info on the fuel E5 Questions & Answers*-*Maxol Group - Fuel For All Engines. Maxol is Ireland's leading independent oil company waited for this about a year too long
Old 16 Jun 2010, 03:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
Well if it not mapped for the 95ron it can damage the engine yes due to detonation, but as it a UK car I dont know do they map it for the 95ron as the base map or what? and then up to you to put the 99ron in if it were over in UK so some one might be able to answer that for you? Maxol E5 is 99ron but searched it ages ago and was only available in Michelstown but they must have just rolled out in the city and county now about time just did a search have a look here just make sure it marked E5 thats the 99ron petrol E5 Stations*-*Maxol Group - Fuel For All Engines. Maxol is Ireland's leading independent oil company it will also tell you here info on the fuel E5 Questions & Answers*-*Maxol Group - Fuel For All Engines. Maxol is Ireland's leading independent oil company waited for this about a year too long
That's interesting...5% ethanol, 95% unleaded (at approx 95 ron) weighs in at 99 ron. And it's the same price as regular unleaded (though the maxol garage in Donnybrook at least is normally a few cents more expensive than elsewhere).
Old 16 Jun 2010, 03:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
...as it a UK car I dont know do they map it for the 95ron as the base map or what?
Anyone have an answer for that one? Car is a 04 STI PPP.