Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Safe place to put axel stands?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2010, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Safe place to put axel stands?

Hi guys,

I have spent the last 3 hours looking for a place to put axel stands under the car (my00) to do an oil change. Im now totally knackered but still havent done anything to the car.

I cant use the jack points as the jack gets in the way and have looked everywhere for a suitable place.

Can members advise please?

Also i have a trolley jack(halfords) which absolutely usless! it goes up to a certain point ,then makes a faint hissing noise and the car comes back down. My arms are bloody killin!!

Im off to clean the boost solenoid and change spark plugs, bloody compression tester hasnt turned up, but at least ill get some thing done and hopefully some one will know where to put axel stands so i can get under the car.

Thanks

Last edited by TylerDurden; 29 May 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2010, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: Safe place to put axel stands?

under the front subframe/cross member - where the wishbones bolt too but do not jack the wishbones themselves. Sounds like the seals in your jack are away and its low on fluid.
Old 29 May 2010, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

As above or the chassis legs Very Annoying in the Classic Impreza dont use the sills as they just bend cant take the weight their crap
Old 30 May 2010, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

I've done an oil change once on my car (garages have done the others whilst I've had it). I borrowed my dads halford jack and it wasnt very good either. Just coming up for me to do another oil change so im glad this post has been started.

Has anyone got any photos they could post showing the area recommended for jacks and for the axle stands.
Old 30 May 2010, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

at the rear you can use the front diff outrigger points(well I do lol)
If you get a small block of wood and cut a slot in it you can use the sill areas,
at the front I always put the axle stands at the point the rear cross member plate meets the chassis leg, on a newage its just as that front basket ends, I actually put the trolly jack on the start of that basket to lift so there is enough room for the axle stand,
But ramps are great front or rear the jack and axle stand the other end so you can work pretty well all the way down,
Even with my 73mm clearance I can still use standard Halford orange ramps so no excuses ur cars lowered lol.

Last edited by bugeye_bob; 30 May 2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 30 May 2010, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Thanks for the advice guys, managed to do the oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx_ryk View Post
I've done an oil change once on my car (garages have done the others whilst I've had it). I borrowed my dads halford jack and it wasnt very good either. Just coming up for me to do another oil change so im glad this post has been started.

Has anyone got any photos they could post showing the area recommended for jacks and for the axle stands.
I took a pic on my phone for you, Im just looking for the cable, but will post it to show you where i put the stands, dont know if its the right place, but seem ok.