Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Tips on buying a scooby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2005, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Tips on buying a scooby

hi,
i managed to find an insurance company to insure me on a scooby (tesco) although it means going on my mums insurance, AGAIN but id rather pay just over a grand a year on hers.
so now im looking for an impreza 2litre turbo for 6grand maximum
has anyone got anything i need to look out for or suggestions?
i want one with as low millage as possible but unfortunately with my price limit this may be hard, i also want one standard with NO modifications
thanks for your time
Giles
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2005, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Welcome matey.
Are you going for an import or UK motor? You should be able to pick up a fairly low mileage import WRX for 6k. Have a look on autotrader.co.uk as a guide. I picked up a Mica Blue completely standard 96 WRX, 50k miles for 5k. Buying an import is a bit of a gamble mind as very few have service history (mine had none!) Try and buy off a dealer if poss with a warranty. Im sure more people on here will have loads more advice.
Old 03 Apr 2005, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

welcome to the site mate

Here's a link to a check list you could take with you when you do look at some cars......you may find it helpful
http://www.subaru-impreza.org/subaru...opic.php?t=542
Old 03 Apr 2005, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

brilliant thats perfect, i wanted to get a full aa inspection but apperently theyve put it up to 150 a time, im not sure if i shud go for an import or not, what are the pros and cons? i dont want to get one which has been thrashed to ****, i need to find a carefull driver
Old 04 Apr 2005, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I think you take a chance buying any second hand performance car but even more so with an import due to the general lack of service history. Also if its been over here for a while youve also got to trust that the previous owner has run it on decent petrol (i.e Optimax with Octane booster, along with trusting that some Crazy jap teenager hasnt thrashed the bllox off it before it hit these fine shores. Defo drive a few though mate and I know its an old age cliche but try not to buy the first one you drive. They all go that fast!!

Got this from jap performance mag....

The UK spec Turbo (1994-1996) - 137mph 0-60 5.8
Jap WRX (1992-1996) - 140mph 0-60 4.9 (climate control, electric folding mirrors, rear wash wipe, bucket seats)

So its almost a second quicker but ya gotta weigh that up with some of the cons of buying an import.

At the end of the day its down to luck mate. I know people who have had 30k on the clock UK cars with FSH and their engiines have gone. I have also read of people owning 120k+ WRX imports with no history which are still going strong.

Get a warranty either way as then at least youve got some peace of mind.

Good luck

Oh an take that checklist with you that newie provided. WIll be invaluable if your seeing a few!
Old 04 Apr 2005, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

warranty is peace of mind but i always feel that when you buy from a garage your never going to get a real bargain because they know how much the car is worth with its millage etc etc but i still think i will go through a dealer, im not too keen on an import either, a 2lr turbo is quick enough for me whatever, when i need more power in a yr or so ill mod the engine
Old 05 Apr 2005, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I agree mate the UK model is way quick enough but 6k on a UK car is not going to go far. 6k on an import is likely to get you a goodun.

Re the warranty, you may save a few hundred quid going private but if a month down the line the engine goes pop you will wish you had some come back!!
Old 05 Apr 2005, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Big E
i have got m impreza up for sale m8

take a gander in the gallery

obviously it is the most recent pics with the Sti 6 spoiler on m8 :wink:
Old 05 Apr 2005, 09:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

if you are interested m8 send me a private message :wink:
Old 05 Apr 2005, 10:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Sorry Big E I wasnt trying to put him off a private sale by rambling on about warrantys!!!
Old 05 Apr 2005, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

no problem m8 :wink:
Old 07 Apr 2005, 07:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

These days you don't need to go to a dealer to get a comprehensive warranty. Try www.warrantiesonline.co.uk My quote was 197 for a 00MY Turbo with 30k and 10k a year. I'll be going private next time and using someone like that for a warranty. Anyone got a WRX STi PPP 03 with low miles??? Cheers Bob
Old 07 Apr 2005, 08:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by s70rjw
These days you don't need to go to a dealer to get a comprehensive warranty. Try www.warrantiesonline.co.uk My quote was 197 for a 00MY Turbo with 30k and 10k a year. I'll be going private next time and using someone like that for a warranty. Anyone got a WRX STi PPP 03 with low miles??? Cheers Bob
I never knew that!!! Not sure how much it would be on a 10 year old wrx mind...