Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

MAF repairs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2010, 05:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

MAF repairs

1998 V4 RA(V limited) EJ20K engine.
I have for a couple of months been living with some clear MAF issues - Intermittant engine missing / dying at cruising speed, engine idle dropping & surging, then stalling. Then it runs fine for a bit, starts again. Code 23 too!
I've been 'putting up' with it cos i live in Phuket, my nearest replacement is in Bangkok & I don't feel like getting shot!
I tried cleaning it. The filament is actually very robust - a flat aluminium plate which is easy to clean(see photo) it helped for a bit - but then it started again, which didn't make sense to me. So I did some research on exactly how they work.
There is an air temp meter that measures ambient air and the ECU attempts to heat the filamnent to Xdeg above ambient. It measures the current required to achieve this. (the more air cooling the filament, the more current required)
the article stated that most failures were in the electrical wiring, not the filament.
maybe the plug then, not the filament? I found if I attempted to 'twist' the plug while the engine was running (properly) it caused a missfire, so I cut off the square plastic cover to the MAF circuitboard (it is sealed down with a heat-welded rubber gasket) and found that of the 3 pin connectors (see second photo) 2 of them had broken solder joints. These were not visible cracks in the solder but when I tried to twist the plug again I could see the movement.

I re-soldered the 3 pins, siliconed the lid back with RTV & it has run perfectly ever since (1 month now)

It cost nothing and I didn't get shot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAF filament.jpg (89.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg MAF circuitboard.jpg (83.6 KB, 27 views)
Offline   Reply With Quote