Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Removing steering wheel on an 96 import

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2005, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Removing steering wheel on an 96 import

Its Friday Hoorah.
Can someone give me some advise on how to get a standard Nardi Steering wheel (non airbag) off of a 1996 WRX. Ive got the middle cover bit off and seen the singal bolt in the middle. Ive removed this but the wheel still wont budge. I cant seem to see any other screws etc? Do I need to remove the plastic ignition cover bit? Im trying to put on a Momo Millenium wheel. Any help will be much appreciated!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2005, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
jon
Young Scooby

Hi Bongo,

Dont know if this helps, I have never replaced the wheel on an Impreza but I removed the one on my Montecarlo and that was on a taper and a spline and needed a real, real good pull to break the taper apart. Does the wheel or adaptor you have to go on have a tapered bore?

Jon
Old 01 Apr 2005, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Yeah, same as Jon - give it a good thump from behind.

BUT...

leave the nut on a couple of turns so when the wheel does comes off it doesn't smack you on the nose, VERY painful!! ops:
Old 01 Apr 2005, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

lol. Cheers lads. I didnt want to give it too much ooomph (sp?) as I was unsure if there was anything else holding it in.
Old 02 Apr 2005, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
jon
Young Scooby

get it off?

Did you get it sorted?

Jon
Old 03 Apr 2005, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

All sorted but what an absolute nightmare!!
Took the bolt off and basically it would'nt budge an inch, both me and my brother yanking on it and no give at all. Tried everything including bashing it from behind using a club hammer. ops:
I eventually got it off by using a bearing extractor (nabbed off gramps). Even then it was a nightmare. To get the extractor to hook behind the wheel I had to get a hack saw and remove chuncks of the wheel just so it would sit square on. It ended up in about 20 pieces. lol.

Anyway once the extractor was on I just tightened till it popped off with a bang. Took a serious ammount of pressure though. So if anyones having the same problem get a bearing extrator as I never would of got mine off without it.

I now need to get a Subaru Momo boss as the one I have is about 1/8mm to big. Im going down Halfrauds in a minute to see if they have one!!!!

On the brighter side the gear knob was a 2 minute job.