Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Nervous about buying Impreza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2010, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Nervous about buying Impreza

Hello Guys

I have seen a UK Impreza 2000, on a w plate, totally standard, fo 3k,50k on the clock, which I really like, (seen it on autotrader website), but on speaking to the guy, and asking about nay problems with the car, he said its a bit lumpy on low revs.

I havent had a chance to drive it as the car is 200miles away, and dont want to travel only to have to walk away, (happened before, I almost bought the car even though the gearbox was very notchy), is this common to impreza's?

Or is it a more serious fault, the car is also a cat d, but the seller say's it happend 5 years ago, and was only light cosmetic damage.

Would the lumpiness be an easy fix?

I would really appreciate any help, I didnt think it would be possible for me to buy an Impreza, especially as i lost my job a while ago, and I dont thave the funds for a big repair bill.

Thanks guys
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2010, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Nervous about buying Impreza

So it's been written off, runs like crap and you don't need a big repair bill. Keep looking mate, there is plenty out there that won't cost you a fortune and are in great condition.
Old 02 May 2010, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bpm
Cool Scooby

Hi mate, for that sort of , keep looking and you ll find a good un. If matey is willing to admit to a running error prior to viewing Id personally keep clear. Keep an eye on the various fourms for members who might be selling their pride and joy...
Ben
Old 02 May 2010, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bpm
Cool Scooby

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1659414.htm
Old 02 May 2010, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Hi fella, just keep looking you'll find the right one. Just remember you'll need plenty of cash for servicing etc and parts aren't always cheap. There should be a good few about with the service history and that have not been put in a ditch for 3k
Old 02 May 2010, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

As above plenty to choose from dont rush into it Subaru Impreza - Buying Checklist my box is the same have heard that imprezas are fairly common to have a notchy feel to the gearchange mine is just 2nd and 3rd gears, but make sure gearbox dont crunch through gears as thats a worn syncro and a gearbox rebuild go a bit hard on the box to test it so you wont get caught with a dodgy box.
Old 02 May 2010, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

yeah mines a bit notchy going in to first, all others fine.
Old 02 May 2010, 11:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

like every one says, there's loads out there. any doubts don't do it.
if it has a full history and loads of paperwork, should be ok. mine's on a v plate and on nearly 150k but has a full subaru history. 20 stamps in the book and it runs perfectly. i bought it on its condition and history not mileage and its sweet.
scoobies are bought by enthusiasts so generally are looked after.
be patient, you'll find one.