Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

possible bearing or clutch problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Mar 2010, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

possible bearing or clutch problems?

Hi there

I've just bought an MY01 WRX and i've noticed that if i'm coasting into traffic lights and try to change from 2nd to 1st the gears crunch, however this does not happen when the car is not moving and it doesn't happen at anytime going from 1st to 2nd. However i have noticed that the car shudders slightly when going from 1st to 2nd. Another sound i have noticed coming from the car is a low geegeegeegee sound that speeds up when i speed up and slows down when i slow down so im wondering if this is a bearing of some sort. The car had a Heavy duty clutch kit including machine flywheel installed 2 yrs ago and am wondering if its already worn out?

Any advice and comments will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2010, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: possible bearing or clutch problems?

Normally try not to go into first gear till you completly stopped as some of these boxes dont like if you try to put them in when car going round 5-10mph can horribly crunch, also that noise you getting did you check your oil levels in the gearbox and also rear diff and is it the right grade oil?
Old 20 Mar 2010, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

had the same prob in my 03 wrx when i bought in january. 2 weeks ago clutch started to slip. Fitting the new one next week. Will let you know if it sorts it. Its not really years but miles and how its driven that you have to worry about. A power upgrade doesn't help. Powerful cars with 4wd tend to be clutch eaters.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

I bought a new exedy clutch kit with release bearing and a new spigot bearing for the flywheel. I hope it cures it!
Old 21 Mar 2010, 02:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks for the comments, yeah im going to check the gear oil and diff oil now hopefully its just an easy problem to fix, if not il just start saving now.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 02:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

As above check your oil levels first. Also syncro's on these cars are prone to wearing out so could be those responsible for the crunching. Juddering could be the flywheel or oil on the clutch facings caused by a leaky seal. The squealing noise could possibly be a wheel bearing. Where is the noise coming from? Front or rear?
Old 22 Mar 2010, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

it seems to be coming from the front as best as i can make out, do you know of a way i can try and pin point this noise a bit better?
Old 22 Mar 2010, 11:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Could make a video might help us more and post it up
Old 23 Mar 2010, 07:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

if it's a big end bearing you'll know about it. It will make a shattering consistant 'clanking' noise at low to mid revs. 2nd to 1st change sounds normal especially if gearbox is cold, but synchro rings are prone to wear and will cause a snick and eventually a crunch when gearbox is hot or under hard driving. the 'geegee' sound,- hope this doesn't sound 'dumbed down' but are you sure it's not just the turbo spooling(noise from bulk head driver side?)... otherwise as said above it could be a wheel bearing, but i found wheel bearing noise to be more of a constant distant 'grind'.

when you say heavy duty clutch, what clutch exactly?