Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Noise from front wheel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Mar 2010, 08:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: Noise from front wheel

I had a warped disk that sounded like metal on metal. Just a thought
Old 22 Mar 2010, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

this sounds like the exact same problem as i have (put a post up about it a few days ago in the technical section) im thinking its a cv joint as its the only thing left i havn't fully stripped and regreased. so think removing the cv joint will be my next move, sounds as tho you need to do the same. im hopeing the driveshaft is keeping evrything together, so when i remove it the cv joint will just fall to bits or at least show signs of wear.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2010, 08:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

damm i remembered i had the same problem metal sheraing noise and funny noises when i stopped it was a crack in the disk but if you have had the cali[pers of you prob would have seen it if not get the disc really hot and you should see it
Old 22 Mar 2010, 09:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

ok i now no what the twang/nock sound is, there is play in my top strut which is causing the spring to move hence the noise ,as for the metal to metal sound still dont no calipers are new discs and pads are new i think it may still be the wheel bearing i no i had a new one fitted but i think he may have damaged the bearing when he fitted it as it was hard to spin the hub he told me it was because it was new and needed running in. speaking to subaru they said it should turn easy so prob damage it when fitting it thanks for the help lads u have all been great i will check the disc rotation but i think they are correct cheers for the pictures pal very helpful
Old 22 Mar 2010, 11:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5468 View Post
ok i now no what the twang/nock sound is, there is play in my top strut which is causing the spring to move hence the noise ,as for the metal to metal sound still dont no calipers are new discs and pads are new i think it may still be the wheel bearing i no i had a new one fitted but i think he may have damaged the bearing when he fitted it as it was hard to spin the hub he told me it was because it was new and needed running in. speaking to subaru they said it should turn easy so prob damage it when fitting it thanks for the help lads u have all been great i will check the disc rotation but i think they are correct cheers for the pictures pal very helpful
The wheel bearing: did who ever do it not press it in right? was it OEM Part? also check for play jack up the car and the wheel which ever side you fitted bearing to hold the wheel and try to rock it 12-6 position shouldnt be no play with a new bearing if their is play then, get some one to press the brakes keep them pressed, now try rock the wheel again if the play gone it would be a wheel bearing problem for sure
Old 23 Mar 2010, 10:45 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

A twang noise os normally spring related. Glad you got it worked out.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 07:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

still cant fix the dam noise i think i will strip it all down on the weekend and see if i can find the problem
Old 27 Mar 2010, 05:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

ok strip the car down today put another new wheel bearing in which has fixed the horrible squeak noise when turning but still the pad grinding sound is still there .i have given up iam just going to drive it till it gets that bad its easy to find the problem ,does anyone no how to check calipers when pushing the pistons back it is really easy but i notice when pressing the brakes when no disc or pads are in the caliper not all 4 pistons come out at the same time one seem to come out so far then the next and the other to start to move is that normal
Old 27 Mar 2010, 09:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

brakes should always come in back then front you may have a slight bias to one side
might need a good bleed
does your brakes have shims and sping clips on them
what pads are you using
have you check your brakes shoes in the rear hubs as this may be a travelling noise
Old 27 Mar 2010, 09:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

have you checked your gear box oil and rear diff oil levels?
Old 27 Mar 2010, 10:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

i bleed the brakes when i had the new calipers fitted gerbox oil and diff oil are full when u stick your head out the window and turn to side the sound is coming to left ear so sounds like the front drivers side. also abit anoyed tonight left the car in pub car park and some idiot nicked the strips that run from front window over the roof and down back window on both sides just cant win lately i work hard to earn anoth money to enjoy my car and some jipo who cant be bothered to do the same stole them.