Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

MOT Failure? Any ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2010, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

MOT Failure? Any ideas?

Hi again car failed MOT today on ball joints, perished brake flexi and emissions. The joints and flexi dont bother me so much but i was wondering how i could go about sorting the emissions :S They werent mega high but were a outside the specified limits...both HC and CO. Looking for any tips as to how i might get it through a test? The guy said he didnt have a machine to diagnose the exact problem. Dont know if it matters but the car was quite low on petrol since the missus took it out of town the day before and the engine was stone cold when i took it to the test station (its only round the corner from my house). Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: MOT Failure? Any ideas?

Quick questions, does it have a cat fitted ? Get the cat red hot on a run and then get it straight on the tester. I have used emission reducer once, worked very well for me !!
Service also ? plugs filter etc etc ?
Old 08 Mar 2010, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Yes it has a cat, Spark plugs 3 weeks old, ht leads 2 months or so
Old 09 Mar 2010, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Might be the o2sensor as when they a fault in it, it will run in open loop mode as opposed to closed loop mode when working normally when engine fully warmed up as when they a fault in it the open loop mode makes the car run rich giving out higher emissions would have been interested to see would it passed if engine fully warmed up as o2sensor would have gone into closed loop mode if working normally, notice it burning fuel more???? as it will if o2sensor not working
Old 09 Mar 2010, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

the o2 sensor was the first thing the mot guy suggested i change, the car is not burning lots of fuel, infact i couldnt be more happy with the fuel economy, more mpg than my 2.0 dti vectra there is a bit of white smoke from the exhaust especially when cold but there is a little bit when hot. Its definatly not a headgasket issue, what could cause this smoke and could this be the problem?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 01:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdouglas1987 View Post
the o2 sensor was the first thing the mot guy suggested i change, the car is not burning lots of fuel, infact i couldnt be more happy with the fuel economy, more mpg than my 2.0 dti vectra there is a bit of white smoke from the exhaust especially when cold but there is a little bit when hot. Its definatly not a headgasket issue, what could cause this smoke and could this be the problem?
Ya the white smoke normal on start up till engine fully warmed up but sometimes you get white smoke when idling in traffic in cold weather aswell when engine fully warmed up and the engine be perfect just normal, when the o2 sensor goes. mpg drops mine was very bad when mine went only found out it was f**ked when it got mapped, changed it found mpg way better do you have any idling isssues either or strange problems with car anything like that? as some signs of the o2 sensor gone aswell
Old 10 Oct 2010, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I GOT TOLD 2 USE MILLERS PETROLPOWER ECO MAX ITS A BIT LIKE RED X BUT THIS STUFF REDUCES EMISSIONS CLEANS INJECTORS AND INCREASES POWER AND MPG AND WHEN YOU'VE PUT THAT IN TAKE IT 4 ABLAST B4 MOT SO THE ENGINE IS WARM IT HELPS MATE