Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Advice and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2010, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Advice and Help

Hey guys,

New to the forum and hopefully very soon a first time impreza owner, just looking for some advise really.

I am thinking of buying a 2003- 2005 WRX and was wondering if i could get some advice on what to look for etc.

How reliable are they? and servicing costs? even things like tire costs.

I haven't really ever owned a performance car and so haven't really had experience with servicing and alike.

i'm not loaded and have a mortgage over my head, i am looking at spending around 6500 - 7000 on one but don't want it to cost me 1000 a year to look after. On average i drive about 5-8 thousand miles a year.

Any help would be great.
Thanks guys
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Advice and Help

Hello mate,
recommend a good standard wrx, low mileage and no modifications to get you started.
Regarding servicing cost, it depends what jobs you are happy to tackle yourself. You can save a fortune by changing the plugs, oil, filters yourself.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

If you have the time, a few spanners and thick skin on your knuckles youll save a few quid, trying to do the sums but too late at night petrol :- 25- 28 mpg, V Power petrol,not sure what it costs in your area, but rough figures 60 for maybe 280 miles on good roads taking it steady,,,, but if you are having fun, a tad less. all adds up but if you can afford it, go for it, you wont look back

Last edited by richuk300; 08 Mar 2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: words missing
Old 08 Mar 2010, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by richuk300 View Post
If you have the time, a few spanners and thick skin on your knuckles youll save a few quid, trying to do the sums but too late at night petrol :- 25- 28 mpg, V Power petrol,not sure what it costs in your area, but rough figures 60 for maybe 280 miles on good roads taking it steady,,,, but if you are having fun, a tad less. all adds up but if you can afford it, go for it, you wont look back
you aint driving it right, if i have a play i get 140 miles to the full tank lol
Old 09 Mar 2010, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Bloody hell, lucky i don't drive a lot of miles then lol
Always willing to have a go myself, plugs, filters and alike can't be that hard ......

Any known issues with the WRX's? better i ask those with experience (you guys) then read some dodgy review on line.

Thanks
Old 09 Mar 2010, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmovement View Post
Bloody hell, lucky i don't drive a lot of miles then lol
Always willing to have a go myself, plugs, filters and alike can't be that hard ......

Any known issues with the WRX's? better i ask those with experience (you guys) then read some dodgy review on line.

Thanks

tbh scoobs are pretty reliable on the whole as standard, its when they get tuned they start to become less reliable. the more tuned the more unreliable, exactly like any other car funily enough. A guy joined last week with a sport that had done 365,000 miles and i know of a couple of turbo's that have hit 175,000+. as long as you look after them, get the serviced, regularoil changes etc etc they go and go and go

my car is a bit of a red herring as far as mpg goes, i will get through that much fuel due to what power its running, rather than the car using ot that much from standard.
Old 09 Mar 2010, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I'm getting around 160 - 180 miles to a full tank of fuel at the moment. I've only got a small tank though 45L I think
Old 09 Mar 2010, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
tbh scoobs are pretty reliable on the whole as standard, its when they get tuned they start to become less reliable. the more tuned the more unreliable, exactly like any other car funily enough. A guy joined last week with a sport that had done 365,000 miles and i know of a couple of turbo's that have hit 175,000+. as long as you look after them, get the serviced, regularoil changes etc etc they go and go and go

my car is a bit of a red herring as far as mpg goes, i will get through that much fuel due to what power its running, rather than the car using ot that much from standard.
Cheers, i am looking at getting a WRX with about 40 - 50K miles on the clock, i want a standard motor as basically i am just starting out with cars that can actually accelerate LOL my 1.8 Ford Focus isn't exactly thrilling.
Old 09 Mar 2010, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Well you've made a good choice fella, there plenty of people on here to help too. If you find any you like post the link and we'll have a look.
Old 09 Mar 2010, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-WRX-Import View Post
Well you've made a good choice fella, there plenty of people on here to help too. If you find any you like post the link and we'll have a look.
Thanks mate that's great, got about 1500 left to save up then i'm ready to get one can't wait .......