Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

what is the dipstick at back of engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2005, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

what is the dipstick at back of engine

i have a 1996 sti 555 and today did the usual weekly level checks and came across a dip stick directly below the top mount intercooler. This i assume is the gearbox fluid level dipstick. Problem is there is no fluid registering on it at all. Is it transmission fluid that i need to add and if so how and what type to use!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2005, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Yes it is the transmission fluid.

I think its 75W-90.

I'm using Syntrax in mine. Any decent brand should be fine. However, you shouldn't mix different oil so it may be worthwhile draining the existing oil in the transmission.
Old 27 Feb 2005, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Gearbox quantity............3.5 ltrs

Fill the gearbox by removing said dip stick (this is the fill port) and use a flexable funnel or large syringe again with flex.

Flexable funnel. A plastic bottle with bottom cut off, force some tubing on the neck of bottle, long enough to reach the gearbox so your able to work comfortably. Works for me.
Old 27 Feb 2005, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokay
Gearbox quantity............3.5 ltrs

Fill the gearbox by removing said dip stick (this is the fill port) and use a flexable funnel or large syringe again with flex.

Flexable funnel. A plastic bottle with bottom cut off, force some tubing on the neck of bottle, long enough to reach the gearbox so your able to work comfortably. Works for me.
Quite right. However, make sure the engine/turbo isn't hot - it melts the funnel ops: