Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Newbie in need of first time buying advice....HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2010, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Newbie in need of first time buying advice....HELP!

Hi guys, i have just joined and am in need of some advice, im currently a VW man (please dont hold that against me!) and i have been offered a straight swop, my golf for a WRX, the chap has told me its a lightweight body with a WRX STi V3 engine running 280bhp, does this sound correct for starters? My other issue is, what should i be looking out for when having a look around the car apart from the obvious checks? I would really appreciate any help. Many thanks. Adam
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2010, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Newbie in need of first time buying advice....HELP!

JDM Classic STi Specs you get all the info for that engine on that link and yes 280bhp bring a good mechanic with you and get it put up on a ramp before you buy it look for all the obvious accident damage, mechanical wise going through it fast listen from knocking from engine, take it for hard fast spin check exhaust seeing if any white smoke coming out the exhaust when engine fully warmed up when going on boost if white smoke could be head gasket failure, go through all the gears listen out for crunching between gear changes also a handy link here to Subaru Impreza - Buying Checklist
Old 12 Feb 2010, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

VW r32's rule dude
Old 13 Feb 2010, 02:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyfield View Post
VW r32's rule dude

Regarding the swap could do with a lot more info on the car, if you can get it the applied model code would help. If not then some pics would also help.

I will say though that no classic came with a "lightweight body" as such. RA's are the lightest classic Impreza's and they had just 1 alloy panel (bonnet) but all other panels,glass etc were standard. Weight saving came by the deletion of most of the electrical goodies and a/c. If it's a standard WRX then it isn't lightweight.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2010, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

as above get the applied model code off the vin plate under the bonnet, and i;m sure that Rikimaru will put you in the picture