Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Buying advice please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2010, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Buying advice please

Just been to look at a 2001 year UK300 Impreza, and was just wanting the benefit of owner's knowledge on here if possible: I was already aware that it had a bit of a problem with its remote locking (in my thread Remote central locking problem), but when looking at the (admittedly limited) service history I noticed a couple of advisories from late 2008.

One was related to slight corrosion of the rear discs which is just fair wear and tear really I suppose, what was more worrying was what was described as a 'slight gearbox oil leak' and 'slight play in steering rack', along with 'high concentration of oil in exhaust'.

It wasn't too clear from the owner whether these were still problems or whether they were sorted, I'm going to chase him up on these tonight. My question is are these common faults for the model/year of the car, and could these rapdily deteriorate into something very serious?

I ask because I used to own an MY99 UK Turbo, blissfully unaware that this year had a fairly common MAF sensor fault until it blew the engine on the motorway and I had to spend £3.5k on a rebuild! I just don't want to fall into the same trap again.....

All advice/comments welcome! Many thanks in advance....
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2010, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Re: Buying advice please

play on the rack might mean worn bushes

slight oil leak gearbox this may be worrying has it had new clutch etc or gearoil change

oil in exhaust could mean probs with turbo any blue smoke
Old 08 Feb 2010, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Apparently the clutch was changed about 15 months ago at the same time as the cambelt, would worn bushes be an expensive fix? I apologise in advance as I am a bit of a mechanical halfwit!

With regards blue smoke, I couldn't see any, unfortunately that was because I have made the classic mistake of seeing it after work when it was dark, the engine was also warm as he had not long arrived home. Not ideal, but circumstances dictated I couldn't get down in the daytime yesterday I'm afraid.
Old 08 Feb 2010, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Unless it was really cheap i wouldnt bother with it. There are lots about for sale at mo. No need to take risks on a car. Lots around with full service history get one of those iinstead
Old 08 Feb 2010, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAianM View Post
Unless it was really cheap i wouldnt bother with it. There are lots about for sale at mo. No need to take risks on a car. Lots around with full service history get one of those iinstead
It's that age old thing of being that bit cheaper than the others though with a lower mileage too.....!

Not suspiciously cheap, just enough to be a nice little saving on it.
Old 08 Feb 2010, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

I hear what your saying If the problems have been fixed then its not so bad, but would it still seem cheap after spending money on maybe Gearbox£££ turbo£££??
Old 08 Feb 2010, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

You are a very evil man......!
Old 08 Feb 2010, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I'd say walk away or negotiate a bit (read quite a bit) of a discount. Any issues with the gearbox will deteriorate into more serious issues and end up costing big money simply, same goes for turbo. UK 300 is a lovely car, but there are better Impreza's out there imo.
Old 08 Feb 2010, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by chur1996 View Post
You are a very evil man......!
Just looking out for fellow scoob lovers
Old 08 Feb 2010, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAianM View Post
Just looking out for fellow scoob lovers
I know, just teasing. Much appreciated people....certainly given me food for thought.
Old 08 Feb 2010, 10:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Dont forget to say how you get on.. Good luck fella
Old 09 Feb 2010, 02:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Id walk away from it the play in steering might have meant it might have been in an accident worse case really at some stage would have to really give it a good look over or that the tie rods or track rod ends in steering needs replacing also, and oil out the back could indicate worn turbo seals