Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Should I Buy Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2010, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Smile Should I Buy Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000?

am 21 year old from UK, and Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 is my dream car !! i have the money to buy the car and my dad will insure it , the only problem is my dad doesn't like the car and he think its 2 expensive to have this car he think the car will cost 2 much money to fix if it gets broken down or to service ( have the car ) but i love this car and i want to buy it , does these Subaru's have common problems or are they all neckerd ? as am only spending 2.5k on the car only it has 80k on the clock and i don't know anything about the engine of this cars , so my question is should i buy this car or not ?

nd the thing is am a student , and i work part time and my dad is saying if i get this car he wont spent a penny on it and i only make 150 a week and have to travel 20miles a day to go to uni and come back home 20milas extra for going a around with my new turbo baby that's 40milas a day , and as you guys sed i might have to get new treys , service the car regularly cambelt ... do you guys think i can afford this car?

nd before i buy the car what things should i be looking for ? what is the common abuse people do on these cars , and by abuse i don't understand like killing the car driving it all the time caz that's what i will be doing with mine ., what things should i be really looking for , does anyone from Northeast know any good local Subaru garages? so i can take the car there ?

there isn't many Subaru's in my area as i have looked everywhere for a good one they are all out side of north east and i have to travel to get the car and really dont have anyone who knows about these cars in my friends or family . what is the best thing to do ?

sorry guys for asking so many questions i just don't wanna lose out here .

i dont wanna get something to spend money i don't have on !!!

help me out guys , people who had this cars .

thank you.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2010, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Should I Buy Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000?

Can never ask to much questions. Have heard, dont know about UK that say ur dads name down that he owns the car and on his name the car and he main driver on insurance and you only named driver and that say you crash the car hopefully not but if it happens and if insurance finds out it really your car and not your dads they will not pay out somthing like that cant remember full story might want to find out about that heard that might be wrong, also bring a good mechanic with ya to check car over thoroughly as dont want to get caught with a lemon and try and get one with a service history thats up to date with no big gaps between services, check all the usual click here Subaru Impreza - Buying Checklist just need luck when looking for a car and get it checked as said and happy motoring you'll love the impreza

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 25 Jan 2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 05:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

HI mate.

Though the car might be reasonably cheap, the running costs are anything but. You say that reliability is crucial and for that to be realised will require regular servicing (oil, plugs, filters etc.) and taking care to warm up/warm down the car and drive it with a little mechanical sympathy. Basically you'll be looking at well over a gallon of fuel a day which at todays prices is not cheap. Add to that oil changes (plus filter) every 3-6 months, new plugs every 12 months, coolant, brae fluid etc. It can get pricey very quickly just for the basics. Also things like brake pads, discs, tyres, clutches etc. are all far more expensive than your average runaround.

I would have to say that on 150 quid a week (especially as a student) you'll struggle to keep the car running without any major work needing doing (clutch for example). I earn a lot more than that and it still hurts when things go wrong. I personally wouldn't bother and would just buy a run around while you are studying and get the scoob in a year or so when you have finished uni, have a job and can afford to run the car.

Sorry to put a downer on it, but I honesty think you will regret buying it as it will swallow an awful lot of your disposable income.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 07:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

The fuel will kill it for you fella assuming you don't drive it that hard you should get between 23 -27 miles per gallon drive it hard and you are looking at a lot less 200 miles a week plus running around expect to put over 50 a week into it especially if using v-power fuel @116p per litre.

Sorry to be negative mate but they just are not cheap to run
Old 25 Jan 2010, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Buy the car and worry about the rest later, stop being so bloody sensible this lad wants a scooby now so let him,
Get a good UK car thats not been modded or abused and it will be fine,
Any car you get will want servicing and petrol,
Ignore all the negatives and get it, I cant remember having any money at that age anyway so at least he will enjoy being broke.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

My first car was a mini 1275gt (many moons ago) & the insurance was 3 times what the car was worth. Did i care ?? could i afford it? not in the least! I was driving my dream car of the time & loved it Well worth being broke for
Old 25 Jan 2010, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

and if ur old man will slip you a few quid if he see`s your looking after it etc.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I would have to say buy a small car at first and build up your own NCB, this would also sort your runnign costs problems.
That being said, any car can breakdown resulting in huge cost so why not have some fun and buy a Scooby !!
Old 25 Jan 2010, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I've been in the same situation it the past, its a tough call especially when you have the money burning a hole in your pocket. Just need to weight up the costs as mentioned above chap, it could be one of the best purchases you've made to date but on the flip side you could find yourself with a car on the drive with no cash to feed her! Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 25 Jan 2010, 05:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi mate i got my WRX scooby last year when i was 21 and yeah the cost are are alot but the big smile you get from driving it doesnt really matter. try not to fall into the trap i did and start looking at extras for it, you will find you will start wanting everything! oh yeah and dont rush into the 1st 1 you find try a couple to get a feel how they drive. good luck mate
Old 25 Jan 2010, 06:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
Buy the car and worry about the rest later, stop being so bloody sensible this lad wants a scooby now so let him,
Get a good UK car thats not been modded or abused and it will be fine,
Any car you get will want servicing and petrol,
Ignore all the negatives and get it, I cant remember having any money at that age anyway so at least he will enjoy being broke.
Yeah I think you are right fella life is too short to care about whether you can afford it.
Go for it just buy a good one and enjoy.

I have had a few drinks since my post this morning so aren't feeling quite so sensible
Old 25 Jan 2010, 07:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAianM View Post
. Did i care ?? could i afford it? not in the least! I was driving my dream car of the time & loved it Well worth being broke for
Very true f**k it just buy the scoob
Old 25 Jan 2010, 10:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I bought my first at 23 after a pug 106 1.1! Now on my second scoob and have loved evrything about it. That big smile u get from putting other cars to shame and the noise just makes u wanna put your foot down every chance you get. Id say go for it and see how it goes, can always sell again in a few months plenty of people looking for one.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 12:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

If you service it yourself, using guidance on .org, you'll save a fortune. I spent 3 weeks servicing mine over the weekends. Just ask how and someone will explain !! We've even got photos too
Old 26 Jan 2010, 06:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

keep us updated and pics if you get one