Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

oil ??????????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2010, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Send a message via MSN to wrxstibry
Exclamation oil ??????????????

Hi just wondered what oil i should use in my 1995 wrx import as i am going to change the oil in the next couple of days?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2010, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: oil ??????????????

I use Motul 300V 10W 40 in my STi and runs great on it. Also take a look at the thread below and leave a post at the end if you want to ask his opinion, though should be more than enough suggestions in there to give you an idea.

Oil advice and recommendations here
Old 22 Jan 2010, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I used 10 - 50 in my old classic without any problems.
Old 22 Jan 2010, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxstibry View Post
Hi just wondered what oil i should use in my 1995 wrx import as i am going to change the oil in the next couple of days?
make sure you disconnect crank sensor and prime the system up before you restart the car this is a common mistake most people make and it does not do your enginne any favours im sure someone on here has posted a guide before on oil changing
just crank the car over till the light goes out it may take a while but this ensures the oil travels where it should be before you reconnect and fire the engine up .
make sure you fill the filter up as well before you replace it !
usally 4.5litres to fill up and level dipstick avoid overfilling as well .
Old 23 Jan 2010, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ive just done my 1994 wrx import and put in millers 10 /40 cfs full synthetic
Old 25 Jan 2010, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo View Post
make sure you disconnect crank sensor and prime the system up before you restart the car this is a common mistake most people make and it does not do your enginne any favours im sure someone on here has posted a guide before on oil changing
You can also fill new oil filter with fresh oil, before installing it. That way, when you crank the car, oil pressure light goes off instantly - therefore there is no need to disconnect the sensor.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviiD View Post
You can also fill new oil filter with fresh oil, before installing it. That way, when you crank the car, oil pressure light goes off instantly - therefore there is no need to disconnect the sensor.
Its a case of good practice on subaru engines(flat four), due to the bearings being dry for a few seconds, if u disconnect the sensor the engine turns over with no load on the pistons(no spark due to sensor disconnection) thus no load on the rods/bearings for a few seconds while the oil pressure builds and gets round completely,

Or thats what im led to believe is the reason for it.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
Its a case of good practice on subaru engines(flat four), due to the bearings being dry for a few seconds, if u disconnect the sensor the engine turns over with no load on the pistons(no spark due to sensor disconnection) thus no load on the rods/bearings for a few seconds while the oil pressure builds and gets round completely,

Or thats what im led to believe is the reason for it.
I've never heard that one before does make sense doh but normally I do a fast oil change drain the oil, fill up the new filter with oil and by that time not very much time went by 5-10mins max so the bearings not fully dry of oil like they always be some oil on bearings and parts anyway not in less you left the car their an hour or somthing and oil would prorberbly have ran dry from bearings then and other vital parts imo

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 26 Jan 2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
I've never heard that one before does make sense doh but normally I do a fast oil change drain the oil, fill up the new filter with oil and by that time not very much time went by 5-10mins max so the bearings not fully dry of oil like they always be some oil on bearings and parts anyway not in less you left the car their an hour or somthing and oil would prorberbly have ran dry from bearings then and other vital parts imo
Problem is, that it takes about 2-3 seconds for a pump to fill the new oil filter. So that engine is running 2-3 seconds with no oil pressure.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviiD View Post
Problem is, that it takes about 2-3 seconds for a pump to fill the new oil filter. So that engine is running 2-3 seconds with no oil pressure.
yep thats the reason why i recomend to fill it and disconect the crank sensor 2 to 3 seconds not long but in a car that has regular oil changes this is adds up and i would rather not have the engine fire up while the pressure is building and as quoted its good practice to disconnect the sensor