Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

revometer?????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2005, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to stevehulluk
revometer?????????

just recently when i've been driving, when i've pulled up to the lights or to park the car. the revometer is usually sat at 800rpms but sometimes it flutters about 3 times 800rpm to 1000rpm and then just settles at 800rpm. any idea's? the cars running great it only does it now and again. but seems more now that i've noticed it
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2005, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Young Scooby

hi mate could it be the maf sensor :?: imho i would take it to e dealer and get it sorted under warrenty just to get it checkrd out :wink:
Old 09 Feb 2005, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

warranty went ages ago mate, just spoke to scoobynew who lives near me & his does the same :shock: & he's just had a remap done by andy f. i'm running a full decat :wink:
Old 09 Feb 2005, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

might need a remap have you had it renapped since decat and also are you running it octane booster if not try some :wink:
Old 09 Feb 2005, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

mines a uk mate, using optimax. its only doing it since the cold weather lately with the lights on & heater to keep toes warm haven't considered a remap yet :wink:
Old 09 Feb 2005, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Had exactly the same problem. I went straight to my scoob dealer and new MAF @ 65:69 fitted. Running great again. Dealer told me anytime I get a fluctuation on tickover to get straight back to him as when the MAF starts to play up not long after is goodbye engine.
Old 09 Feb 2005, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

do you really reckon thats what it is? it doesn't do it all the time though, but for that price i'd rather pay it. was that a recent price mate? subaru are rip off merchants :evil:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Had exactly the same problem. I went straight to my scoob dealer and new MAF @ 65:69 fitted. Running great again. Dealer told me anytime I get a fluctuation on tickover to get straight back to him as when the MAF starts to play up not long after is goodbye engine.
Old 09 Feb 2005, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Mine started fluctuating about a week ago. Would not always do it just now and then. Mainly when the car was warmed up. After doing this now and then for about a week it slowly got worse and sometimes when pulling up at lights it would almost stall then pick back up to about 1100 rpm then settle out and be ok again.
New part fitted Part Number 2279AA010 Meter CP-Air Flow 65:69 fitted on 7/2/05
I was told that when the Maf plays up the car will start to run lean under throttle and that will cause det. Subaru dealer said its worth fitting a new MAF at least ever other year or sooner if the thing plays up.
Old 09 Feb 2005, 04:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

As Bob says Steve - it sounds to me like the start of a failing MAF - you could try the unplugging MAF to see what happens.

As you are no doubt aware Steve we have the very weak MAF sensors in ours (MY99/00) so if in doubt I'd say best to replace it mate. You can replace it yourself with the correct Torx secutiry fittings - let me know mate cos I can show you how to - should you need some guidance

btw do you have an induction kit ?? cos these are known killers of our MAF Sensors ?
Old 09 Feb 2005, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

no induction kit, you told me before to stay well clear of them on my model car ops: scoobynew has said he will fit it for me free of charge, he knows how to do them. buying a new maf sensor 2moro or 2nite if i can get there in time :wink: thanks for all your comments, really appreciated. scooby owners to the rescue again :wink:
Old 09 Feb 2005, 04:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Good job Steve - better safe than sorry.

It frightens the shite out of me the MAF Sensor failing I do however have an AFR gauge fitted so I would hope to see a leaner mixture when on boost as a warning that things are not right.

This should sort out your probs 8)
Old 09 Feb 2005, 05:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehulluk
no induction kit, you told me before to stay well clear of them on my model car ops: scoobynew has said he will fit it for me free of charge, he knows how to do them. buying a new maf sensor 2moro or 2nite if i can get there in time :wink: thanks for all your comments, really appreciated. scooby owners to the rescue again :wink:
Induction kits that have oiled filters are the problem. they give the MAF a coating of oil wi=hich buggers them up. A good induction kit that is not oiled should be OK provided it is well secured as vibration is also a known problem.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

had the maf sensor changed 77.00, big john from hull just changed it for me. he said just to take it easy for a few mile for it to learn or something like that. the problem seems to have gone, driving back to work from the garage so fingers crossed that is what the problem was :roll: thanks again everyone that commented :wink:
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Nice one Steve -keep us all informed how it goes
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Has steve made up a new technical term " revometer" :wink:

Buzz