Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

The rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2009, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

The rebuild

Just uploaded a few pics in my album of the Scooby so far.

Here's the fricking mess I found behind the headlight. Looks like someone has tried to wire in a new relay and circuit for the centre lights. I'm removing these so will rip out all of the wires.

The ols girl, ahhhhhhhhhhh. I've been scrubbing every inch of her with degreaser, soap and water.

The front bumper so far, going to fill the center with a thick black mesh. No front number plate. One of the spotlight covers to feed cold air through the inner wing to the air filter.

Heres the hole where the resonator used to be, I'll use this for my air feed from the front bumper.

Where the resonator used to be. She's losing weight !! The front panel will be cut out to allow the air pipe to feed through.

When I took the twin headlights out the inner ones just fell apart there was sooooo much rust. Will need to buy new main headlights at some stage.

If you can't see the pics properly have a look in my albums.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: The rebuild

Look at the mess they made of the Bailey BOV, looks like they glued different size hoses together to get it to fit. Will need to try something to clean this up.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Getting their dont ya just hate rabbits and hamsters messy ba**ards
Old 17 Dec 2009, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Mate you should see the mess in the garage when my little girl has been playing with the rabbit, there is straw and muck everywhere. I have to vacumn the garage everyday !
Old 18 Dec 2009, 01:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-WRX-Import View Post
Mate you should see the mess in the garage when my little girl has been playing with the rabbit, there is straw and muck everywhere. I have to vacumn the garage everyday !
had them when I was a young fella they s**t alday like malteasers
Old 18 Dec 2009, 03:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:

Look at the mess they made of the Bailey BOV, looks like they glued different size hoses together to get it to fit. Will need to try something to clean this up.
Thats nasty, get a standard one on might make ur car run a lot better if that is leaking.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
Thats nasty, get a standard one on might make ur car run a lot better if that is leaking.
If ya think it will make a difference then I'll have a look round for one. Are they expensive new or should I have a look on Fleabay ?

I guess they are not hard to replace, just unclip this one and put the new one in it's place. Might need some new hose though. Would love to go for a blue hose kit at the same time.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
I guess they are not hard to replace, just unclip this one and put the new one in it's place. Might need some new hose though. Would love to go for a blue hose kit at the same time.
Agree with Brett re the standard one. Not too difficult to fit, even i could do it and might be worth replacing the hoses a same time as you say. The blue hose kit would look cool.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2009, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

goog luck with the rebuild mate
Old 22 Dec 2009, 08:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

checked the front bumper last night after laying mats of fiberglass resin behind the splitter. Its rock solid now !
When I get a chance I'll hit the outside with a sander and then finish repairing the cracks.
Old 22 Dec 2009, 11:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Its coming on well Matt
Old 22 Dec 2009, 11:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Gonna pop both front wing off soon and clean up inside. Going to coat the inner wings with underseal then bolt all back together.
Old 23 Dec 2009, 01:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Going well so far Matt. Be great when it is finished, especially knowing you did it all yourself.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2009, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Cheers fella, just so bloddy cold at the moment. It's been a few years since I hada project and a few more years since I was working in the bodyshops. Regret getting rid of some of my tools now, but didn't think I would ever get in to this again. Almost forgot how much I love pulling cars apart and making them my own. I've built some silly (in a good way) cars in the past but plan to take this one step further.
I want to build to be complete, hence taking panels off and treating them and then bolting them back on again.
Worst part of the car is the rear nearside wheel arch which is bubbling up. I think it might be quite bad so will attack that when the weather starts to warm up.
I was going to chuck it in to a bodyshop and pay someone to do it but the design for the front bumper and headlights scared the life out of him, plus I've got the time to do it.
Hope to get a few goodies for xmas to help me along the way.
Old 29 Dec 2009, 11:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Hi all, since I twated my wife X3 we've been using the Scooby to run around. she's done 2 long trip totting up about 400 miles. All is fine but first couple of times I drove it the check engine light came on. only lasted about 15 minutes and i'm guessing that it was working out why so much cold air was being pushed through my new cold feed headlight set up and the resonator being removed.
I've got a really annoying altenator belt squeel, is that because I've put the new one on too tight ?
Got my new gauge holders for xmas on the A pillar so can move from the centre console and put the 12V socket back in. Need it for the sat nav.
can't wait to get the X3 back so I can strip the Scooby back down again and carry on working.