Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

power......high milers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Nov 2009, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

power......high milers

does having a impreza with high miles on it decrease the chances of a good power output. reason i ask is a lad at work thinks that a car loses 10bhp a year
has anyone on here had they're cars dyn'd with a lot of miles on them.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: power......high milers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainz View Post
does having a impreza with high miles on it decrease the chances of a good power output. reason i ask is a lad at work thinks that a car loses 10bhp a year
Dont belive everything you hear a guy constantly comes into garage here its a Turbo Impreza Classic well over 150k miles on it never had any issues on the engine or box I use to constantly service the car for him every 5000k miles for him change the gearbox and diff oils every year for him and he drives the neck off it and done a Compression Test on the engine awhile back and the 4 figures were all the same across the cylinders not to low or to high just right and this test like a heart monitor but just on a car he even says the guy that owns it its running better now than when he first got it 5years ago just goes to show once you regurley service these cars they pay you back. I have a Sti RA Version 6 have it a year in a half with 72k miles on it and tip wood never had a problem with it
Old 23 Nov 2009, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainz View Post
reason i ask is a lad at work thinks that a car loses 10bhp a year

Where do these people get their information. Sure, over time engines lose a little power as parts stop running as efficiently as they once did, but this effect is massively reduced by regular, comprehensive servicing.

I remember seeing a Top gear vid where they had a people carrier that the book quoted at 220 Bhp (lets say, ill did the vid out) but when dyno'd was way below that. One service later and power was back where it should be.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 03:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Here ya go;

Old 23 Nov 2009, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Mine's got about 150K on it and it's fine.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

as mine as done more miles the power has increased,last mapped back in '06,last RR run '09 i'd had an increase by roughly 40horses,only thing i did do was add headers last Dec was already running well over 300 horses then

a mates Standard wagon 218 bhp out the box,now runs iro 230 bhp,only has a Blitz exhaust and K&N IK,it's never been mapped and he's got 140k on the clock for a MY99 model...