Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

close call!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Nov 2009, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

close call!!

checked my oil today to find there was none!! just a smidge on the dipstick. i have no idea how long it was like this for but thank god i dont thrash it. last time i checked about a month ago there the correct amount in it. anyway i put some more in and it feels very smooth lol!!
i have learned a very good lesson today.....check your oil.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2009, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Re: close call!!

is this normal for Imprezas??????????

I'm gonna buy one soon
Old 15 Nov 2009, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

that isnt normal in any engine think id be getting that looked at before it gets expensive
Old 15 Nov 2009, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Did you check it when the oil was hot or cold fella, only impreza`s are a pita to judge right.
Old 15 Nov 2009, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

the engine was warm and i let i stand for a few minutes. i checked a few times. i topped it up and kept checking and it seems fine. ive been doin alot of miles though.
Old 16 Nov 2009, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

good news is that if it was showing on the dipstick then there was plenty of oil in there
Old 16 Nov 2009, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Cool. there was just a bit showing on dipstick. i take it that it wouldnt have done any damage then?
Old 16 Nov 2009, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainz View Post
Cool. there was just a bit showing on dipstick. i take it that it wouldnt have done any damage then?
Hopefully not bud fingers crossed normally have stripped down some engines awhile back running little or no oil and the shell bearings seem to be afffected first but all depends somtimes as they not enough oil to lubricate them so you get a knocking noise as I said they normally first to go cause when you hear the knocking its wearing and eventually after that it can wipe out the end of the rods and crankshaft with other parts to so sure its fine just keep an eye on it next time. I check my oil every week just as a precaution or after a hard spin, better to be safe than sorry let it be a lesson learned Check the oil
Old 16 Nov 2009, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

dipstick is about 3.5 out of 4.5 litres of oil in total or something like that, so if it was still on there wont have done anything
Old 17 Nov 2009, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
dipstick is about 3.5 out of 4.5 litres of oil in total or something like that, so if it was still on there wont have done anything
That is interesting to read, when mine went in for MOT it was 'low' on oil ( I should have checked it more often), but judging from what you have said, it wasnt dangerously low. I think mine goes through a little oil, not too much though.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 12:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

To be honest wouldnt class showing some oil on the dipstick as ok but thats me,i tend to think right ya pick up pipe aint gonna go to the very bottom of ya sump an some of the oil once running is being pumped some is draining bk down somes at the turbo for a small amount of oil thats in its wide open to surge issues with the low level of oil to pick up on corners wouldnt ya think.

Maybe i just worry too much but anytime oil level is min i consider bad-not just that wheres it goin pmsl
Old 17 Nov 2009, 12:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
To be honest wouldnt class showing some oil on the dipstick as ok but thats me,i tend to think right ya pick up pipe aint gonna go to the very bottom of ya sump an some of the oil once running is being pumped some is draining bk down somes at the turbo for a small amount of oil thats in its wide open to surge issues with the low level of oil to pick up on corners wouldnt ya think.

Maybe i just worry too much but anytime oil level is min i consider bad-not just that wheres it goin pmsl

its not ideal and i wouldn;t recopmend running with oil that low on DS, but its not gonna be a technical issue untill you drop more than that, unless your doing track work etc where high G will push oil to one side.

Tis def good practise to keep an eye on the oil level and topped up
Old 17 Nov 2009, 06:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

the car is driving as it was so im sure there has been no damage. im going to recheck the oil the weekend to make sure though. thanks for the replys
Old 17 Nov 2009, 07:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainz View Post
the car is driving as it was so im sure there has been no damage. im going to recheck the oil the weekend to make sure though. thanks for the replys
Keep a eye on it just in case it is using any and enjoy
Old 17 Nov 2009, 11:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post

Totally agree