Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

what have you bought that you regretted for the scooby?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2004, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to stevehulluk
what have you bought that you regretted for the scooby?

will start this off, dump valve just to noisy! the ninja back box, should have got the afterburner like i wanted :evil: the car will be right one day, i wish :shock:
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2004, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Crumbs talk about opening a can of worms - ok here goes

First up

Exhaust - car originally had the Prodrive System on it - which having had a prev WRX with a full HKS Decat System (could set car alarms off with it) it was a tad quiet. So I saved some pennies and bought myself an Afterburner Vortex. Did a Decat and found the Vortex to be very loud and was not over impressed with the build quality (the TI burnt effect started to peel off) Missus disliked it loads so it came off and I refitted a Prodrive Rear Box. Lost a load of money on it too

Dump Valve - Fitted a HKS SQV to it and did find it too loud and due to it increasing the Lag with my car decided after a few months to sell.

Alloy Tax Disc with the SWRT swoosh on it.......advert said on Ebay Laser Engraved - my ar5se I soon found that the company selling it had cleverly used a sticker of the logo etc on the reverse of the holder that gave the effect of it being engraved !! Just to say that the company involved autostyle.co.uk (IIRC) were the suppliers.....
Old 03 Dec 2004, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

HKS SSQL BOV for me :shock: Just thought the car wansnt the same....

Dice for the rear view window (joke) :wink:
Old 04 Dec 2004, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Nothing yet.... but im sure it's only a matter of time..... :?

I have thought about a BOV VTA many times... Forge seem good value to me. But the posts about BOV have changed my mind... unless my concerns are unfounded.... Also my dealer is totaly against them.... warranty warning. :shock:

Nobby.
Old 04 Dec 2004, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Noby I am currently running with a Forge Recirc Dumper that does actually make a slight noise but has improved Lag no end and none of the idling issues etc you can get with VTA's
Old 04 Dec 2004, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
Noby I am currently running with a Forge Recirc Dumper that does actually make a slight noise but has improved Lag no end and none of the idling issues etc you can get with VTA's
Thanks Karl.... may be the way to go

Have long shopping list..... but no funds until after crimbo.

Advice like yours and others, helps to sort out the wheat from the chaff.... so less chance of investing in "fools gold"

Thank you.

Nobby.
Old 04 Dec 2004, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Here we go then:

Prodrive Performance Pack. Complete waste of £2000, but manage to get my money back after a few months.
Prodrive Exhaust Off It come Scoobysport fitted much better then HKS ok then Blitz good but noisy. Now have HKS silent type.
PowerEngineering T65 downpipe Why pay extra for a downpipe they all seem the same.
Link ECU replacement. Another waste of £1400 could not get steady tick over and cold start was poor, took it out and sold it for £300.
Prodrive Alcon Brakes and DS3000 pads. Ate the discís, had two new sets fitted had to have new wheels because of brake duct corrosion and the car had to be Tee-Cut to remove the brake dust from the paintwork. In the end sold them for £350 should have got bremboís in the first place.
Dump Valve. OK at first then gets on your nerves with all the noise.
F1 Tyres they split the sidewalls with still 50% tread left.
Cheap Gauges and expensive digital gauges for centre pod should have got Deffiís like I have now.
MY2000 From new worse Scoob Iíve ever had hesitated when hot or cold. Part Xed for P1

I could be here all night would be easier to ask for items that I rate.
Old 05 Dec 2004, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Wow Bob! :shock: Thanks for the honesty.... definetly helps to clear the fog.

Am fitting Quick shift after Christmas... any advice :?:

Nobby
Old 05 Dec 2004, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Bob's spend a few quit over the years, with not a lot of joy :shock:

Quick shift is nice nobby, does cut the arm movement down by 20% ( back on the power quicker).

Buzz
Old 05 Dec 2004, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz

Quick shift is nice nobby, does cut the arm movement down by 20% ( back on the power quicker).

Buzz
:wink:
Old 05 Dec 2004, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz

Buzz
If its been made for the Scoob I've most probaly had it.

MY98 scoob this was the one prodrived. Had a Powerengineering Phase 1 conversion to 283 BHP Scoobysports complete exhaust just got it to how I wanted it could do no more so sold it. I done 40,000 miles in it. the next owner did another 40,000 miles before righting it off.
MY2000 hesitating bag of sh1te. Had link fitted which got rid of hesitation scoob owners then new it was a problem with the ECU that gave hesitation on MY2000's Part Xed for P1. This only needed exhaust mods to get over 300 BHP the expence of a remap would be a waste of money as it would have not given better results.
Impreza WRX STi 5 Type R WRC Limited very nice car has already had most the mods I would do to a scoob, Just done the Suspension ARB's droplinks Just have to get new wheels and it will be time to sale it. Don't keep a car for longer than 6-12 months

Quick shift worth ever penny mate.
Old 05 Dec 2004, 11:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Thanks Bob... Buzz got one sorted for me after Crimbo... no dosh left to spend on scoob at the momment.... :roll:

Did re-set after fill up on Optimax earlier... trying it to see if claims are true or bull... :?

Nobby.
Old 05 Dec 2004, 11:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Resetting the ECU on new age scoobs.
You should have a real reason to do this, its not something you "just do" despite what is said on forums at times.

The ecu not only learns about timing but closed loop fuel long and short term trims, boost response, knock learning plus the dynamic fine learning are all stored, the ecu has four layers of ignition settings to mix and match, do a reset and you lose the lot, the panacea of the GC8 "its yur maf mate" does not seem to hold true for the new age cars, so if you are having a problem and think this may help or resolve its very unlikely to. As a comment the GC8 ecu functions in a similar way, its not so refined though, or detailed.

If you do reset it then the process of triggering the learning again actualy takes one steady accellerate in 5th from 2k rpm with a progressive boost (not aggressive) up to about 0.8 bar, that will kick start it, BUT, it could go down as well as up especially if you have a VTA bov fitted. The ecu has sensitive and not so sensitive area's of learning designed to protect against heavy low/mid range loads, in std form the ecu code provides very little protection at higher revs. So, why do you want to reset ?

How did you reste it?
I hear the black green plugs do not work on the New age Scoobs.
The new age ECU's learn old fuel new fuel very fast without a reset.

Battery detach does work btw.

cheers

bob
Old 05 Dec 2004, 11:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Cheers Bob.... did the battery neg detach....

There seems to be a lot of different views on this one.... it's my belief that the ecu information should be stored, adjusted, stored, adjusted etc etc.... not sure how a re-set is supposed to be better than allowing ecu to do it's job... can some one shed light on this.

The other thing is the car has always run sweet as a nut... never had any probs with idling fueling knock etc.... but as im new to Scoob ownership... im on a huge learning curve.... when most modern cars are serviced or worked on are the neg terminals detached as a matter of precaution? this would in effect re-set the ecu by default?

The reason for re-set.... switched to optimax 98 ron... from sainsbury super unlead. Was given advice that re-set or ecu wont adjust to new fuel... dont know why though...but advice seemed good at the time.... that's why i carried out re-set

Interesting stuff.... learning all the time. :?

Nobby
Old 05 Dec 2004, 11:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

If your battery is diconected for a short time the ECU will not reset unless you try to use some power and resistors run down.
There was always an advantage reseting the classic ECU's if you were having problems. But the new age ECU's are an entirly differant thing.