Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2004, 07:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Hi all. How are you? Well I am a new impreza owner and have some questions and thought that this would be the place to get some answers. I stumbled across a 1999 Impreza while looking for a work car. I drove and the price was great, so I bought it.
Since then the car has been undergoing some changes to suspension and exterior.
The one area I have been having some trouble is engine mods. Not knowing much about these cars, other than the rep of the WRX I may have gotten myself into a great car but with a 2.2l engine. I thought of an engine swap but with the recent purchase of a house and a new baby on the way not a good idea, maybe in the future. I was wondring if any of you knew of any bolt on performance accessories for this car?

CHEERS !!!!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2004, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/subaru...highlight=mods would be a good place to start. :wink:
Old 28 Nov 2004, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Ok Some Mods you can carry out to a Scoob

Engine

1) Free Flowing Exhaust (Decat the current system) There are a number of good manufacturers out there - and some of the popular exhausts to go for are Ninja, Afterburner Vortex, Hayward & Scott Scoobysport, HKS, Blitz NurSpec etc. These systems will give varying performance increases and noise levels. You currently have 2 Cats in place on your car - one in the centre pipe and one in the downpipe. The removal of the one in the downpipe is the one that makes the biggest difference. Increase in power is generally accepted to be about 20-25BHP with a FULL Decat

2) Induction - An uprated Panel Filter or Induction Kit is also another performance increasing modification. An Induction kit is not recommended for MY99/00 due to the fragile MAF sensor they use. However if you feel the need to go for the cone filter then K&N is one of the safest ones you can use. There are countless arguments amogst Scooby owners about the benefits of Induction kits and the other option to you is an uprated Panil Filter. Again the main ones people use (apart from the oem) is K&N. STI, Green and JR. The uprated filter can give anything upto 3-4BHP increase (depending on other Mods)

3) ReMap/ECU Change - You can get an Ecutek Remap for the MY99/00 Scoobs. This is really only recommended if you have carried out major modifications like those mentioned above. A Remap can really release the potential of your Scoob and figures of 270-280BHP are about the Norm for your year of car running with a free flowing Scooby. Otherwise another option for you is to buy a second hand PPP ECU (prodrive performance pack). The PPP consists of a centre pipe decat, uprated rear silencer, uprated intercooler pipework (samco hose) and a change of ECU. If you decide to take this option then it is advised that you carry out the exhaust and intercooler pipework changes aswell as the ECU. The power output for the MY99/00 is 240BHP but more impressively 258 ft/lb torque.

4) Boost Controllers (manual and Electronic) - A well set up Boost controller can also give you a modest power increase and can give more stable boost control. You can also increase the amount of boost your car delivers - but I would suggest that no Boost Controllers are fitted without some monitoring equipment, a Boost Gauge, AFR and a Knock Link are a very good idea.

5) Brakes - The 4 pot calipers that are standard on the MY99/00's are very good. They are certainly up to the job of Track or Fast Road driving. However the all important factor here is what make of discs and pads you use. There are many manufacturers about and differing views amongst owners on what are the best to use. Another excellent and cost effective modification to your Brakes is to uprate the brake lines to Goodridge Braided ones. A set of braided lines and new brake fluid (either DOT 4.1 or 5.1) is well recommended for getting rid of the spongey brake pedal feel that Scoobs seem to suffer with.

6) Suspension - Well apart from uprating the Dampers and Springs (to lower and stiffen up the ride of your car) there are a host of upgrades that you can carry out to your Scooby. Upper and Lower Strut Braces can make a difference to the handling of the car. Uprated Polyurethane Drop Links make a big difference and are reported to be a big improvement on the original standard rubber oem ones. A larger diameter front and rear ARB also helps with stiffening/stabilising the car. The 'Bumpsteer' Modification also gives a driver a much more lively and better feeling car. I have had this on my previous Scoob and it felt like a Go Kart. As well as the Bumpsteer it is also worth having the Geometry set by a professional - I belive the Prodrive settings are good as they change the camber and toe in settings....again giving a more positive feel to the car and this virtually eliminates the Scooby Understeer trait. Lastly to help keep the scoob on the ground with hard acceleration is the ALK (Anti Lift Kit) You may notice that when you floor the pedal in the first 2 gears the nose of the scoob lifts a lot....well the anti lift kit changes a number of bushes etc at the front of the car and stops this from happening giving a better launch.

I could talk for hours about other upgrades you can do for your car but I hope the above gives you some things to think about ?
Old 29 Nov 2004, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

nice one nelson. i've just printed your post for my own records.
no mods yet apart from ninja back box, so plenty to think about.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

8)
Old 30 Nov 2004, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
8)
Thanks Nelson.... now he will want me to help fit the bits with him.....

Were both on a learning curve... :wink:

Thanks.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby248
Quote:
8)
Thanks Nelson.... now he will want me to help fit the bits with him.....

Were both on a learning curve... :wink:

Thanks.
thanks, i didn't need to even ask. lol.
Old 02 Dec 2004, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Young Scooby

If you want a hand to fit bits and learn a bit more, give me a shout 8)
Scoobynut
Old 02 Dec 2004, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobynut
Scoobynut
Cheers Scoobynut..... we will do that....

So much to learn :roll:

Nobby.
Old 02 Dec 2004, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Scoobynut
I can't praise Andy enough - I trust him implicity when it comes to my car - I mean he even allowed me to help carry out the Cambelt change on my Scoob :shock: As you say Nobby it is nice to learn and Andy has a wealth of experience
Old 03 Dec 2004, 08:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Quote:
Scoobynut
I can't praise Andy enough - I trust him implicity when it comes to my car - I mean he even allowed me to help carry out the Cambelt change on my Scoob :shock: As you say Nobby it is nice to learn and Andy has a wealth of experience
High praise indeed Karl....

Brilliant offer of help.... we will need it trust me. I have always worked on Classic cars 60-70's stuff mainly... but the Scoob is a real challenge.... it's like no other car ive ever dealt with :shock: .... but there again... learned to drive in... and still lover Land-Rovers, Range Rover classics.... and you can take them apart with a blunt screwdriver and a lump hammer The electronics and sensors on modern cars are mind blowing for me... im used to dealing with Lucas (prince of darkness) electrics and points you set with cigarette paper... :wink:

Realy appreciate Andy's offer. :P

Thanks again for your continued tech support Nelson, and to Scoobynut for the offer of future help. Nice one :P

Nobby and Brumbrum (little brov).