Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Turn those front fog lamps off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2004, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Turn those front fog lamps off

I have noticed a lot of Scooby owners have started using their front fog lamps when driving at night (when it isn't foggy). Apparently this is illegal and you can get points on your license ! The police are cracking down on it in my area so be warned ....

All lights that are below the line of the bumper have to be fog lamps ... so no excuses about driving lights etc.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2004, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

I dont use them on the 04wrx now but i did always used them on the 99 because the headlights were so crap....
Old 27 Nov 2004, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Re: Turn those front fog lamps off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyTurbo
I have noticed a lot of Scooby owners have started using their front fog lamps when driving at night (when it isn't foggy). Apparently this is illegal and you can get points on your license ! The police are cracking down on it in my area so be warned ....

All lights that are below the line of the bumper have to be fog lamps ... so no excuses about driving lights etc.
Please could you shed some more light on this pun intended.... Because the so called front fog lights on the Impreza's are wide dispersal driving lamps... :shock: they shed thier light in a very wide low arc, to pick out the sides of the road and verges etc...

I think the lights you may be refering to are the rear fog lights.... these are a pain in the backside when inconsiderate drivers leave them on for no reason... :x they are especially hazardous if used in towns and built up areas... where they should never be used in any case... the blue bottles would pull you, and give you at least a verbal warning if they see you using them for no good reason... :? Interested to find out more if anyone can illuminate a little more on this subject....sorry :wink:

Nobby.
Old 28 Nov 2004, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Now this is interesting cos I have PIAA Driving Lamps on my car. These ONLY come on however when I use Full Beam. They light up half the country when I do put them on but my understanding was that the standard lamps on a Scoob were Fog Lamps rather than driving lamps ??

Interesting................
Old 28 Nov 2004, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Can agree that they are cracking down on driving with fog lights on :wink:

Nelson you are ok as yours are wired up to the main beam only.

Gar, yours were on at Alton mate :wink: (remember seeing them on when we fired up in the morning to go get parked up)

Hope that helps (a bit)

Buzz
Old 28 Nov 2004, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz

Gar, yours were on at Alton mate :wink: (remember seeing them on when we fired up in the morning to go get parked up)

Hope that helps (a bit)

Buzz
It was foggy when i turned up late that night :wink:
Old 28 Nov 2004, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Then you are excused :wink:

Buzz
Old 28 Nov 2004, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz

Hope that helps (a bit)

Buzz
Mine are wired to work when the stork switch is in the side light position... :!:
Old 28 Nov 2004, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Nice one buzz. wish mine were like that
Old 28 Nov 2004, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

fog lamps

Remember reading in What Car of all mags (can't remember the issue) that there were a few cars that by law are required to drive with the driving lamps illuminated, the scooby being one of the cars. (Sure thats how i read it unless it was a dream of course). :roll:
Old 29 Nov 2004, 08:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I spoke to my local dealer and they confirmed that the standard unit is definitely a fog lamp. I once bought some driving lamps and they had a leaflet explaining the rules for fitting them. Apparently all driving lamps have to be fitted above the line of the bumper and should extinguish with the main beam. Fog lamps must be mounted below the bumper and should come on with the side lights.

(I think the PIAA lights might be bending the rules slightly but if they extinguish with the main beam no one will complain.)

I'm pretty sure that the article in What Car would be talking about Scandanvian cars like the Volvo which have to have their side lights on all the time (not fog lamps).
Old 08 Dec 2004, 03:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

damn that sucks....

our lighting rules are governed state to state here in the States

my state allows 4 forward facing lights on at any given time - none mounted higher than your factory headllights....

telling you ya cant have your fogs on?? that's pretty lame... :roll:

Jamie
Old 08 Dec 2004, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Young Scooby

The PIAA driving lamps that replace the std. Fog lamps are technically illegal because they are below the bumper c/line. I had them on my WRX Classic but wired them to only work on m/beam. If you have Foglights on the front you can use them in conjunction with sidelights in foggy conditions only and you will get pulled if you use them with dipped beam in good visibility.
Andy.Scoobynut
Old 11 Dec 2004, 09:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

I'm going to jump in with both feet here and probably make myself unpopular. (What do you mean I was already !! )
I think that the folks that drive around with their fogs on, and there's plenty of them here, are more stupid than a big bag of stupid things.
Why would you want to do it? Do they think it looks cool? DUrrrrrrr!!
Using them, other than in fog or driving snow, is completely pointless, and illegal!!
They are designed to be used when full beam would provide too much glare back from fog/snow. They offer no advantage whatsoever in improving visability in good conditions.
They serve only to annoy old grouches like myself :twisted:
Sentence all offenders to 10 years hard labour.
'Turn off your F$%*^&G fog lights for F*&^s sake you T&$$£r$'I'm gonna have to lie down and take some deep breaths now.

Cool ops:
Old 11 Dec 2004, 10:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Feel better now mate?
Bit of steam let off there :wink:

Buzz