Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

330s Centre Diff Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2009, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

330s Centre Diff Advice

Had a new Impreza STi 330s for the last couple of weeks, and l have (so far) resisted the temptation to play around with the centre diff settings (set at Auto Neutral just now). Anyways, being new to Scoobies, what's the likely effect of changing the diff settings? Is it likely to radically change the performance and handling of the car?

The garage recommended I should probably just leave it alone, but I hate the thought of having a toy or gadget in my new car that I shouldn't play about with!!

This car is my first venture into the world of AWD cars, having always driven FWD in the past.

Advice welcome!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2009, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: 330s Centre Diff Advice

I have DCCD in my classic RA and it can affect the handling quite drastically depending on how hard you are pushing the car and/or the conditions at the time. Mine is only manual so I generally leave it fully open (most power to the back wheels) as that is where I prefer it. In the wet or when pressing on the back end can get a bit twitchy set to fully open and can catch you out if you are not careful, so sometimes move a bit more power to the front. The further forward you dial it (not sure if that is + or - on the new age cars), the closer you get to a 50/50 torque split so performs more like a normal AWD car. During every day driving it makes no discernable difference where you set it other than how heavy the steering feels tbh, so i leave it fully open pretty much all the time as I like the lighter steering and I like to get the tail swinging out when oppurtunity presents itself. One thing that does happen with the diff set to more lock is something called Diff Wind, which is a horrible clunking sound that makes the diff judder horribly when turning at low speed. Apparently doesn't do any damage but sounds and feels horrible.

Problem is, I have never driven a new age car with the adjustable diff so no idea what effect it is gonna have on the handling of your car, would imagine it would be quite quite similar. Hopefully Brumbrum or JD will pipe up as they both have new age STi's with the same diff set up i believe.
Old 13 Oct 2009, 04:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: 330s Centre Diff Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
I have DCCD in my classic RA and it can affect the handling quite drastically depending on how hard you are pushing the car and/or the conditions at the time. Mine is only manual so I generally leave it fully open (most power to the back wheels) as that is where I prefer it. In the wet or when pressing on the back end can get a bit twitchy set to fully open and can catch you out if you are not careful, so sometimes move a bit more power to the front. The further forward you dial it (not sure if that is + or - on the new age cars), the closer you get to a 50/50 torque split so performs more like a normal AWD car. During every day driving it makes no discernable difference where you set it other than how heavy the steering feels tbh, so i leave it fully open pretty much all the time as I like the lighter steering and I like to get the tail swinging out when oppurtunity presents itself. One thing that does happen with the diff set to more lock is something called Diff Wind, which is a horrible clunking sound that makes the diff judder horribly when turning at low speed. Apparently doesn't do any damage but sounds and feels horrible.

Problem is, I have never driven a new age car with the adjustable diff so no idea what effect it is gonna have on the handling of your car, would imagine it would be quite quite similar. Hopefully Brumbrum or JD will pipe up as they both have new age STi's with the same diff set up i believe.
Cheers Riki. I just felt it was never really explained to me at delivery. I could always head back to the dealer, and ask, but I thought I'd get the thoughts of some more experienced Subaru drivers first!