Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Poll, PPP or Remap?
View Poll Results: PPP or Remap?
Prodrive performance pack 1 14.29%
Remap & zorst 6 85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2004, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Poll, PPP or Remap?

If you had the money, which would it be?
PPP is 2000 for the STi
Remap 800 ish Plus a nice new zorst

Buzz
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2004, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

It depends whether you've got warranty or not or whether your bothered about invalidating it....

Pound for pound against bhp increase REMAP+Zorst

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 17 Nov 2004, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

The unofficial route i would take Take it to a GOOD mapper and your laughing, take it to a bad one and maybe your not.

If it were my choice (providing warrenty was up) the remap would be the one.

I like the idea of http://www.ecutek.com/ with a map for hard driving and a map for regular day to day use! now thats got to be worth considering?
Old 18 Nov 2004, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Would go for good Re-map if warranty was not invalidated.... as I would do most of the mechanical work myself and save on labour on exhaust fit and Induction plumbing.

But PPP 1,600 for WRX.... Prodrive exhaust, change of Y pipe and new ecu. fitted including vat and no warranty hassel.... seems good value :?:

The outcome is 262bhp and 268 lbs of torque very driveable and 120 kg lighter than an Sti... 0-62 recorded by EVO mag = 4.8

But good re-map 800, zost 300 and induction work 150 = 1250 + vat and then labour 100 + = 1350 at least... and invalidated warranty...

So that's why it was PPP for me. .... at this point in time :wink:
Old 18 Nov 2004, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Well I know I speak for a Classic but it seems my performance woes are here again

As you are all no doubt aware I am running a PPP with a Full Decat !! Unfortunately with all this cold weather I am now getting major spiking going on and due to this the ignition is beginning to retarded ! ops: This means a luckluster performance all round unfortunately

So my option is stick the Catted d/pipe back on and put the original boost restrictor on or get myself a standard 99/00 ECU and get a Tek Remap. I would have to sell the PPP ECU however to help fund the TEK but I am seriously considering it.

I also have no warranty to worry about :twisted:
Old 18 Nov 2004, 05:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

I had the PPP on my first Scoob Phoned Prodive to complain about it being underpowered. Got 208 BHP on the RR. The car was in the workshop for days and in the end I said enough is enough I want my money back. was given money back and all Prodrive wanted was the ECU so I kept the rest. Had a remap from Power Engineering for 650 a full exhaust for 500 and had:

Bob Iles Comparison: 98MY ScoobySport back box, RamAir filter 237 bhp @ 5800 rpm 235 lb/ft @ 2800 rpm. Note more power with exhaust and filter than I had with PPP.
ScoobySport back box, K&N filter, PE phase 1 conversion 261 bhp @ 5760 rpm 267 lb/ft @ 3700 rpm
plus PE T75 downpipe and mid-section (no cats), re-map to 95RON 275 bhp @ 6160 rpm 276 lb/ft @ 3300 rpm as above but with 97 RON fuel 283 bhp @ 6380 rpm 275 lb/ft @ 3630 rpm

Oh and my dealer also honoured the warrentee with this done to it.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

I think you may have sold me the idea Bob - looks like my best or should I say only option is to go ReMap.

I already have a Full Decat exhaust which I think is flowing rather well and a Green filter - just need some decent mapping now to get the power and driveability.

Thanks
Old 23 Nov 2004, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

jus to carry this question on, i will be buying my sti soon, and was thinking the same thing, but it stats that the ppp gets bhp 305 bhp. so your sayin that with a remap and exhaust ull get better than the 305 bhp?
Old 23 Nov 2004, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolz
jus to carry this question on, i will be buying my sti soon, and was thinking the same thing, but it stats that the ppp gets bhp 305 bhp. so your sayin that with a remap and exhaust ull get better than the 305 bhp?
Hello and welcome

If the Sti is still under Subaru UK warranty, then PPP is the way to go IMHO. The other re-mapping and mods may cause warranty problems..... check before you fit. :?

As for HP quotes.... you can tune and tune and tune Scoobs.... :twisted: reliable 350-400 bhp can be achieved with the right sort of mods. :P

I have WRX with PPP producing 267 Bhp and about 270 lbs, I have had no problems and no worry with the warranty..... :!:

If I had purchased a car without warranty.... then I would have had induction and exhaust work carried out, and a re-map. I would probably have looked at a FMIC conversion as well.

Hope this helps you.... please let me know what you decide to do.... and I negotiated a deal on the PPP with my dealer. :wink:

Good luck.

Nobby.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

they are totally diffreent to my type R. ie: an ecu and exhaust would get you, 20bhp lol! whereas on a scooby ur taking about double that mayb more! NICE
Old 16 Dec 2004, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

PPP is a generic map, its the same on all cars. Good for value (should be) but won't get the most out of your car. Its also designed to work within a warranty so the tourque is alot lower than it could be.
A re-map is done specifically for your car, which means the best can be got from it.
If you have a low powered standard Scoob then a re-map will be really good. If you have an STI already running in the high 200's, mapping by itself won't acheive alot more. You'll need a fuel pump, front mount intercooler, probably a clutch and various standard engine parts (coilpacks, plugs etc) that will fail under the strain.
Hth
Old 16 Dec 2004, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Thanks olly ( long time no hear) and the others that replied, now i am still left wondering, until olly's reply the remap was looking favorite!

Buzz
Old 16 Dec 2004, 10:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to sealion127
can i just go off on a tangent for a minute......the warranty on my car runs out in march so i wil be on the quest for more power.
i have been seaching the net for the best place to have a remap, but, not sure about reiliablity and how much power standard componants can safely handle..clutch , gearbox..etc. the car is a uk 02 wrx.
whats everyones thoughts on the "safe power increase"
and who are the people to talk to about remapping.?...in the north of england .
cheers chris
Old 16 Dec 2004, 10:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

How far south are you prepared to come?

Buzz
Old 17 Dec 2004, 06:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to sealion127
i would travel to round about birmingham or just a little past....anything further than that becomes a 2 day event.
do you have a place in mind buzz??

cheers
chris