Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Friendly Advice Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Sep 2009, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question Friendly Advice Needed

Hi
New here and just wanted a bit of advice. Thinking of buying Impreza WRX
and just wondered what was the best and most reliable one to get, also what are the main things to look for and what are the most common problems people have with them My mechanic who used to own one but turned out to be a lemon is trying to put me off and telling me that no matter what I get, age , condition etc that it will need a new engine!!!!!
What sort of mpg can be expected on average driving. Need to get one to get it out my system !!!!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2009, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Re: Friendly Advice Needed

I'm new here as well having recently bought a high mileage "02" WRX. As far as I can see as long as the car has been serviced regularly there shouln't be any issues. They appear to be very robust mechanically. In terms of reliabilty I can't see any difference between the models. My advice would be to pay as much as you can sensibly afford but make sure it's got a complete service record and steer away from heavily modified ones. (leaving you something to personalise it for yourself)

I'm averaging about 23/24 mpg but I have got a heavy right foot.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Echo above really. Properly looked after, they are generally no less reliable than any other performance car. There are lemons out there, but if you take your time and have a good look at cars before you buy them you should be fine. Regular servicing is the key to trouble free motoring with any car, and especially high performance cars. I have a V6 STi RA that has not put a foot wrong in 2 years and 12,000 miles of ownership and she has now done close to 90,000 miles. I have changed engine oil every 3000 Km on average (overkill i know but gives me peace of mind) and all other fluids well within recommended intervals.

Would say that you would probably be best off buying a New Age UK model for the sake of reliability and availability of parts. New age engines and (especially) gearboxes tend to be stronger than in the classics, and a UK model has been mapped from the factory for UK fuel so will always have been run on the right fuel. A lot of JDM models aren't mapped for UK fuel and are only run on octane booster (some don't even get that) which, imo, is not a safe way to run them long term. Also, a well looked after car with full service history is a must regardless of mileage. You'll likely have less problems with a high mileage looked after car than a low miler with patchy/missing history. And as above steer clear of modified cars.

Last edited by rikimaru; 14 Sep 2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Piece of mind, tsk. Up the Irons!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thankyou for the quick responses all info greatly recieved.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

once you find the car.taking the advice from the guys above YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED im sure
Old 15 Sep 2009, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

As above got told by a lot of people that imprezas are trouble and thank god my sti v6 ra with 74k miles has not ever given me trouble all down to luck and the previous owners and keep an eye on history
Old 16 Sep 2009, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I have an 54 WRX and its not missed a beat. Full service history, and mint condition. Echo above really, O and it should put a big smile on your face to when you hit the loud pedal! Enjoy!
Old 16 Sep 2009, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

reliable and impreza:ic on_laug:ic on_laug

on my third now last two both over 100,000,look at standard ones not modded,good and bad in all makes

Last edited by holyfield; 16 Sep 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Its all a risk with buying cars. Well looked after is what your looking for. Plenty of history and regular oil changes. Buy yourself an oil pressure gauge. The pumps are common to fail and it will take the big end out furthest from the pump straight away then you are looking at a big bill..
Old 05 Oct 2009, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Service history is a must, and ive had two classics always serviced every 4 thousand mile or less lol only had current one 3 moths and had no issues other than a sticky caliper. My old one had done 114k with full dealer history and at 110 k i had to do clutch and flywheel, other than that no probs, one thing to point out if it needs a clutch 50% of time flywheels are cracked and perished so bear that in mind but i agree with tidgy well looked after ones are good for 150k some more. i dissagree with the stay away from the modified if they are modified cheaply then beware (chaved up owned by young lads as they are affordable to chavs now) but modified correctly and not cheaply you can grab some bargains,

If you looked at two identical models but one had full stainless exhaust, dump valve, panel filter and a custom remap done properly and they were roughly same money then you may aswell save all the money thats been spent on mods and get the modified one,
Old 05 Oct 2009, 09:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

and just to add any car at any time can go wrong no matter how well looked after it is,
Old 06 Oct 2009, 06:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
You'll likely have less problems with a high mileage looked after car than a low miler with patchy/missing history. And as above steer clear of modified cars.
Would agree wayne if with very few owners say 3 max but the more owners its had the more likely it is to get a rough owner-thrashing one to within an inch of its life (but still full service history) will still kill one-wear is wear at the end of the day if its constantly redlined an not let tickover a while after a good thrash round or heatsoak issues not realised running topmounts/someone being rough with gearbox/excessive flywheel wear due to constant launches blah blah you could still buy a proper lemon-with performance cars its mostly about being aware of the problems ya could face before buying an the length of time the cars been owned an just the type of person the owner if buying private seems to be/how the cars kept etc etc if buying from on a forum search post history for possible problems etc.

Me personally though i`d never buy a scooby private-6months warranty minimum for me if ya spending a fair amount-scoobys can bite back big time when it comes to a engine rebuild etc.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 03:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to jimfella

Hi I have a 1995 wrx jap import it had over 100k on the clock I bought it last year.
First thing i did because of a lack of service history was to service it and change the cambelt, apart from the header tank leaking after a dyno run it has been trouble free. Apart from the Nur Spec exhaust and a body kit was standard when I bought it I have only done cosmetic stuff to it so far. Like everyone above said look for a standard one with a good service history and you should be fine.