Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

WRX power ups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2009, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

WRX power ups

hey guys i was wondering if some of u cn help me out with some questions i have thanks. first, how much power can the standard WRX engine make safely? how much boost can the standard internals take safely? what mods should i be lookin at first to get the power up? any help be much appreciated
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2009, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Re: WRX power ups

Hi my subaru is running 320bhp on stock internals my car is uk spec so was only 220bhp standard i would say 320 is safe on stock engine more than that and nobody really knows how long it would last. i drive my car hard running 18 psi/1.25 bar, Mods depend on how much money u have and how much tuning u want to do ,Exhaust , Air Filter,up boost abit, big power is down to the turbo,Remap ECU, like Ecutek or Change ECU to simtec etc,,
Old 29 Aug 2009, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hello mate the best place to start is with the exhaust a good decat or sports cat system with a nice bellmouth down pipe and panel filter should get things breathing a bit better then a uprated fuel pump,is the first basic's tafter that thing get a bit dearer with front mount and ecu-tek or if more money a stand alone ecu ie simtek/solaris then a map should see you looking at 300-300.

the standard engine will take it, for how long is anyones guess if you want reliabilty after 300-350 you would need forged internals etc which i have recently done Also after these figures the gearbox on any classic will be under lots of strain, the new age box are alot stronger though so are the blocks,

hope this helps regards nathan

visit my site

http://www.imprezatypera.com
Old 29 Aug 2009, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockley View Post
hello mate the best place to start is with the exhaust a good decat or sports cat system with a nice bellmouth down pipe and panel filter should get things breathing a bit better then a uprated fuel pump,is the first basic's tafter that thing get a bit dearer with front mount and ecu-tek or if more money a stand alone ecu ie simtek/solaris then a map should see you looking at 300-300.

the standard engine will take it, for how long is anyones guess if you want reliabilty after 300-350 you would need forged internals etc which i have recently done Also after these figures the gearbox on any classic will be under lots of strain, the new age box are alot stronger though so are the blocks,

hope this helps regards nathan

visit my site

SUBARU IMPREZA TYPE RA - impreza type ra .com
thanks alot for ya help mate. im a V8 person deep down (although iv now got bit of a thing for these rexs) so i dont know much at all about them yet. It already has full exhaust and boost controller tho im not sure at what boost yet (no gauge). it runs quite well already for the limited mods it has so i was thinkin and hopin ther was alot more potential left in it and it sounds like ther is. the 320hp is that figure at the wheels or is that engine power?
Old 29 Aug 2009, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248

300 on standard internals.... is probably the realistic maximum without asking for problems... I would recomend oil cooler and sports radiator, allied to new silicone coolant hoses top and bottom... then uprate the pressure cap to a 1.3 bar Sti type... use a coolant addative Motul do one... that helps keep temps down
Power = heat production this is caused by internal pressure increases... puts stress on everything inside the engine, rods, bearings, pumps, the coolant and oil.... do the experiment of holding your hand over the end of your bike pump and feel the heat increase.... now do the same thing faster and the heat increases... If you put to much pressure on the end of the pump.... you will break the internal sealing ring... or bend the shaft of the pump.... just like the rods and rings in your engine

But have heard of lots running more without problems... but these could be 'rolling road horse powers' and they are a bit like WATTS MUSIC POWER compared with WATTS RMS on your hifi... a measurment issue... real power down onto the tarmac is what counts buddy

IMHO
Old 29 Aug 2009, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby248 View Post
300 on standard internals.... is probably the realistic maximum without asking for problems... I would recomend oil cooler and sports radiator, allied to new silicone coolant hoses top and bottom... then uprate the pressure cap to a 1.3 bar Sti type... use a coolant addative Motul do one... that helps keep temps down
Power = heat production this is caused by internal pressure increases... puts stress on everything inside the engine, rods, bearings, pumps, the coolant and oil.... do the experiment of holding your hand over the end of your bike pump and feel the heat increase.... now do the same thing faster and the heat increases... If you put to much pressure on the end of the pump.... you will break the internal sealing ring... or bend the shaft of the pump.... just like the rods and rings in your engine

But have heard of lots running more without problems... but these could be 'rolling road horse powers' and they are a bit like WATTS MUSIC POWER compared with WATTS RMS on your hifi... a measurment issue... real power down onto the tarmac is what counts buddy

IMHO
thanks alot mate, u sound like ur pretty switched on to the subject. i know quite alot about forced induction i didnt know how strong the factory internals are on these engines. i dont want to go too stupid (already have commodore im doin that with lol) i just want to get the most i can safely to make it a bit of weapon for around town, thanks