Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Any info on buying an import from dealer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2009, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Any info on buying an import from dealer?

Hello, im looking at buying a type r 2dr from an import dealer but never owned a subaru before, does anyone have any advise to share? I have heard about needing them re-mapped for uk fuel but not much else.
Any help is very much appreciated, thankyou.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2009, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Re: Any info on buying an import from dealer?

if you look near the hinge on the drivers door - on your left on the edge/side of the dash board there will be a sticker with a date of the last service in Japan. This may give you an idea how long the car has been sitting around waiting for auction an export, and also if it was serviced fairly recently or not. I viewed a type r some months ago at an import dealers and it had not been serviced in over two years which put me off.
The importer should convert it from Km to miles and change the speedometer accordingly. It would be the wisest of moves getting it mapped for UK fuel straight away, the dealer may supply this service??, the car will also be restricted to 112mph as are all Jap cars(i think).
What company are you using? as some have better reps than others. you should also be given information about what grade the car was at auction according to auctioning rules, i'm sure someone on here maybe able to give you more info on auction grades.
Do you know what version Type R it is? version 4's seem very popular with importers (1997-8) this is where i guess the best profit must be.
Can you give more info on the car, year, dealer?

Andrew

Last edited by brumbrum; 23 Aug 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

here is a really useful buying guide check list for buying an impreza.... link: Subaru Impreza - Buying Checklist

Also check the centre Diff control for correct operation, and check the clutch for wear by putting in 2nd and 3rd gear and seeing if you get slip when taking off. Check brakes for imbalance/sticky calipers - brake fairly heavily on straight stretch with hands off the steering and check for pull. Check for notchy gears when changing - reluctance to go in to certain gears.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi, thanks for the info,will come in real handy.
there is a couple of cars on ebay from dealers. one is an 1998 STI TYPE R V4 COUPE on 62000miles for 6495 and the other is an 1996 STI TYPE R COUPE for 5495 (offers) but does not state mileage just says low miles, whatever i go for i really want a blue 2 door preferably an sti. I've seen a few showrooms but they seem to have every jap car but no impreza's, anyway thanks for the help. I've put the links to the cars below if you want to take a look.
1998R SUBARU IMPREZA STI TYPE R V4 COUPE####REDUCED#### on eBay (end time 24-Aug-09 11:40:59 BST)
FRESH IMPORT SUBARU IMPREZA STI TURBO TYPE R 2 DOOR on eBay (end time 30-Aug-09 22:44:17 BST)
Old 24 Aug 2009, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

if you want the proper 'impreza blue' you want 'sonic blue' as in the bottom link you posted. The top link car is just blue.
6.5k seems to be the dealer price for v.4 type-r's, but some dealers may offer no warranty, or 3 months or even a year. A company in dover called SVA imports offer a 12 month warranty which isnt a bad thing seeing you will getting no history with the car. Although i have never dealt with this outfit.
Some people recommend a company called Torque GT in Devon, they offer only 3 months warranty. But when i visited them i did not like what i viewed. I turned up without an prior appointment and i think i caught them on the back foot. they had no time to doll up or prime the cars i wanted to view n drive. the cars seemed a bit tatty to me. You maybe better trying to source a Type-r owned by an enthusiast that has been in the country for awhile and has some service history with it and has all the necessary work done to it for british roads, but then you have no come back - no warranty. i suppose it's six of one and halve a dozen of the other.
I think dealer price is only acceptable with a long warranty.