Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

best "bolt on" 500 bhp turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2009, 07:37 AM   #31 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to dynamix
Re: best "bolt on" 500 bhp turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloscoob View Post
ive heard the fp are weak in some way, a few lads on the mlr have had them also one or two subarus have had them blow up, purely turbo not engine reasons, dynamix had one, think that broke.
Killed 3 of them (fp greens) in varying ways.

Upgraded to an MD321V in the middle of last year and last dyno'd at 545bhp & 600 lb/ft on 20% E85. Will be back on the dyno again soon but expecting similar figures tbh (maybe 550 bhp)
Moderator Authorised Advertiser
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2009, 08:58 AM   #32 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamix View Post
Killed 3 of them (fp greens) in varying ways.

Upgraded to an MD321V in the middle of last year and last dyno'd at 545bhp & 600 lb/ft on 20% E85. Will be back on the dyno again soon but expecting similar figures tbh (maybe 550 bhp)
very good figures there, are you on 100% bio now? does this affect fuel lines ie, leaks?
Old 25 Sep 2009, 04:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

read on sn that a "500+ s206 only made 412bhp with 10% methanol on a 2.0 with standard internals, thats not the turbo for me, note, it was mapped by an independant mapper on different rollers so the "bias" equation is took out
Old 26 Sep 2009, 07:27 AM   #34 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

check which dyno etc ...what boost and other factors.

I believe there is an s206 which has made 450+ on V power alone with more to come, but these ar on built motors.

Also note that the 412bhp is running on standard internals! There is a limit on standard inernals and would depend on how safe the client wanted it to run, each mapper will have their own limit on the standard internals. Also, JGM stated that there were issues with the actuator so could not run more boost. So your comment above is without the full story.

If you want to run 500bhp on standard internals, it will be possible, but expect a rebuild at an point.

Last edited by jd; 26 Sep 2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 03:55 PM   #35 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

I wish i could afford the new litchfield twin scroll. It's going to be about 1600 plus vat and then i'd need bigger injectors, fuel pump and knowing my luck a new clutch soon after that
So a 3K package once the mapping is done also

Last edited by brumbrum; 26 Sep 2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 04:49 PM   #36 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd View Post
check which dyno etc ...what boost and other factors.

I believe there is an s206 which has made 450+ on V power alone with more to come, but these ar on built motors.

Also note that the 412bhp is running on standard internals! There is a limit on standard inernals and would depend on how safe the client wanted it to run, each mapper will have their own limit on the standard internals. Also, JGM stated that there were issues with the actuator so could not run more boost. So your comment above is without the full story.

If you want to run 500bhp on standard internals, it will be possible, but expect a rebuild at an point.
good points there jd but still wouldnt want a turbo thats having actuator problems, jgm says 450 is safe on standard internals so if it can he will.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 07:49 AM   #37 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

JGM will probably up the hp once the actuator issue is sorted, but the one above would not hold boost hence the low figure.

This is probably a one off issue wih the actuator, Alan Jeffery - Engine Tuner (who assisted in the design of the units) have not had any problems. That maybe down to the fact they fitted the turbos and checked all was ok before fitting.

And yes 450bhp is safe on standard internals, mine has been at this level for 2 years with only servicing being done. Are you after 500bhp on standard internals?
Old 27 Sep 2009, 12:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
JGM will probably up the hp once the actuator issue is sorted, but the one above would not hold boost hence the low figure.

This is probably a one off issue wih the actuator, Alan Jeffery - Engine Tuner (who assisted in the design of the units) have not had any problems. That maybe down to the fact they fitted the turbos and checked all was ok before fitting.

And yes 450bhp is safe on standard internals, mine has been at this level for 2 years with only servicing being done. Are you after 500bhp on standard internals?
ive always wanted and will have a built engine, what standard standard engine does in between doesnt really matter, so if it goes bang it goes bang but i do want to take it to its limits and if thats 500, 520 or 530 then so be it scooby clinic have just brought out a new version "sc54" i think, will be interesting to see what that does, though ive now read s206 is doing 513 bhp and 502ftlbs on a built 2.1 so thats also looking good, favourite at the moment must go to the md321v as its producing 515bhp and 472ftlbs on a standard 2.0, what it does on built 2.1 or 2.33 i have no idea, looks like i will be letting you know
Old 27 Sep 2009, 03:47 PM   #39 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

You could push many turbos at 500bhp on a standard engine, just depends on what boost you want to run.

GRD have a standard internally sti8 at 517bhp on 15% methanol with a GT30R. And there is plenty more to come from my turbo (MD195S) as currently only running 1.5bar and has run at 2.3 Bar on the road.

Ensure you do enough research before choosing a turbo, remembering what you want from the car in the end and its intended use.
Old 03 Oct 2009, 07:09 AM   #40 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
You could push many turbos at 500bhp on a standard engine, just depends on what boost you want to run.

GRD have a standard internally sti8 at 517bhp on 15% methanol with a GT30R. And there is plenty more to come from my turbo (MD195S) as currently only running 1.5bar and has run at 2.3 Bar on the road.

Ensure you do enough research before choosing a turbo, remembering what you want from the car in the end and its intended use.
the grd car has rotated turbo i think, im very impressed with the 500 from the newage with a bolt on turbo, will be doing plenty of research hence this thread, love the dick waving on sn between enginetuner and lateral, not everyone is playing their cards it seems,
Old 03 Oct 2009, 05:23 PM   #41 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

lateral is concerned that the 321 is under threat.
Old 03 Oct 2009, 07:02 PM   #42 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
lateral is concerned that the 321 is under threat.
yeah could be
Old 04 Oct 2009, 01:41 PM   #43 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

reading between the lines pmsl
Old 04 Oct 2009, 07:28 PM   #44 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

SN is like one big advertising scam if you ask me. There's always a 'flavour of the month' must have something or other! At one point EBC redstuff pads were the must have brake pad that everyone recommended on there,,, and they are the most shokingly bad brake pad i've ever tried. Infact they played their part in putting me off buying a type Ra some months ago...........(rant over)
Old 05 Oct 2009, 05:45 PM   #45 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

interesting that a s206 on a newage 2.0 on standard internals mapped again by jgm, not made the power they expected, though what the exact figures are i dont know as its all gone quiet on sn, dick waving comes to an end?