Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

how much petrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2004, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

how much petrol

:shock: can anyone help me.im new to owning a my00 model turbo.only had it 2weeks,bloody gr8 car,but the petrol it uses is alarming ...and no i aint got my right foot to the floor,,,,{sometimes tho }.65 covers 300miles...is this bout right.or do any of u think there might be summit up......thanks :cry: mike
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2004, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

That seems a bit heavy on fuel :?:

:shock: Normally get 300 to a full tank in mine (80ish on motorway) 04wrx

Maybe re-set the ecu (instructions can be found in the forum) - maybe whoever you bought it off stripped all the mods off and the ecu is still over fuelling or something??

BUT i had a major shock in the 1999 turbo as i thought there was a hole in the tank Maybe cos its new and your still playing with the throttle it goes quicker??

Thats my thoughts

Im sure others will advise on this too...
Old 09 Oct 2004, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Hi Mike

Difficult one that ?? I have a MY00 with PPP Ecu and a Full Decat (which is known to use a bit more fuel) and I get about 260-270 miles out of the tank before I fill up. Please note our motors have a 60 litre tank and whilst my fuel reading shows it as being empty (at 260 miles) when I fill up I find I have another 10-12 litres of fuel left :shock: However 2L Turbo cars are generally thirsty motors and unless you are at a constant speed on the motorway without using Boost you should see the economy get better......but not by much

Have you got any Modifications on your car ??
Old 09 Oct 2004, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

thanks nelson...no mods.everything standard.previous owner did nothing to i mod wise......was thinking of resetting the ecu,,,c if that helps......my deep pockets are getting deeper :roll:
Old 09 Oct 2004, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Well a Reset would certainly not do any harm either way Mike - it could also be a faulty or failing Oxygen / Lambda Sensor. These are known to cause overfuelling when they aren't working correctly and one of the main symptoms is a fuel guzzler

How does the car feel though ?? Does it pull well ? any hesitation/pulsing ?
Old 10 Oct 2004, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

thanks nelson. gona do a reset today....the car goes like hell.realy quick on pick up.one thing tho at bout 2000rpm in 2,very slight jerkyness as if u hold it at those revs....but if u floor her, she just goes .hope this helps....where and how much are these oxgen sensors u mention...thanks :shock:
Old 11 Oct 2004, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to Scooby Dee
Re: how much petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepic
65 covers 300miles...is this bout right.or do any of u think there might be summit up......thanks :cry: mike
That's about the same as ours, we get about 200 ish miles to a full tank (40ish).

It could be possible that if you're still pretty new to owning a scoob you could be pressing that right pedal a bit too hard :wink:
Old 11 Oct 2004, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

on a mix of driving i get about 260 miles for a tank, ithas been as low as 220 and as high as 300 according to the type of driving i'm doing.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to triplezoney
I had the same problem when I first bought my Turbo!
Was looking everywhere for that petrol leak! :shock:

Its something you just get used to in the end mate :wink:
Old 11 Oct 2004, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Well said TZ - you do get used to it as you say
Old 11 Oct 2004, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tom
Fresh Scooby

How's the tire pressure...I put some new Goodyear G1-F3's on my 17" rims (they'll handle to 50 PSI) at 45 PSI they ride a bit harsh on my 2002 WRX Wagon, but I like it like that - got an oil change - the mechanic "corrected" the tire pressure to 28 PSI...
I was getting better than 25 MPG, but with the lower tire pressure I only got about 17 MPG...grrr.

Most often, poor MPG is a simple thing like tire pressure...or just tires (my WRX has over 85,000 Miles on it - only got about 20 MPG for first 10,000 miles).

So don't trust the mechanic, check your tires at least monthly...
Old 11 Oct 2004, 09:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

whey....................... welcome back Tom... Hows you doing? Never thought about the tyre pressure before :? :arrow:
Old 11 Oct 2004, 10:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Petrol consumption does seem to be well discussed topic for Impreza owners....seen some pretty horrendous MPG figures!

When I first got my car I was very concious of the petrol issue but that soon dissapeared with a heavy right foot and plenty of grins!

One thing I do find a bit iritating about the Scoob is the non-linear petrol gauge....goes down slow in first quarter then needle drops loads down to the bottom quarter of a tank!
Old 12 Oct 2004, 04:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
65 covers 300miles...is this bout right.or do any of u think there might be summit up......
i tot mine was alarming when i made at least 350 miles before i fill up the petrol.
so now i am more relieve...