Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Shock absorbers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Shock absorbers?

My 2006 WRX PPP is just out of warranty, so having a little tuning work done .

Had Eibach springs fitted to lower the car and handling is definitely improved. However, I immediately noticed knocking from the rear suspension. VERY noticeable at slow speed over uneven tarmac (as we have round here in deepest Cornwall to put it mildly), or under heavy braking. However, not noticeable at all on good tarmac at speed.

The car has gone back for the rest of the work to be done and for the suspension to be checked out. Nothing obvious has come up. The springs are seated fine, etc. However, we've found that the rear wheel bearing is duff and I'm going to have to replace it as well.

The only thing is, I can't see how that will be causing the knocking. Sounds like dampers to me and the threads here suggest it's a common problem on the new age cars. Any thoughts anyone?

If it is dampers, I'll go aftermarket if the OEM ones are rubbish. Any advice on best for fast road, non-track day use, at a reasonable price?

Cheers.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2009, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Re: Shock absorbers?

Sounds like the struts knocking as you say. Even if you get them fixed it can(i believe) come back.
I have AST coilovers on my car, and i recommend them. They are fully damper adjustable and can be adjusted from the top of the struts inside the car(knobs on back seats) and from under the bonnet. There are 12 settings going from softer than normal STI to hard and bouncy(but never too hard). I often change the damper settings depending on how and where i'm driving. They are good for british roads, unlike Tein coilovers which are very hard.
A place called Powerstation in Gloucester sell them and fit them. Remember to make sure you have a full 4 wheel geometry alignment done when fitting new suspension. You can get a whole suspension package fiitted by the above companyif you are willing to payfor it, for example,
Stage 3 - T25 Spec Kit
AST Sport-Line Suspension Kit
Rear Adjustable Roll Bar
Anti-Lift Kit
Front Adjustable Roll Bar
4-Wheel Alignment
1450* + VAT

The AST coilovers alone are about 800/900 + whatever for fitting + about 70/80 for the wheel alignment

By the way, I'm not on commission from them , but have that exact package plus front n rear strut braces and it's fantastic.

Last edited by brumbrum; 19 Aug 2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
Sounds like the struts knocking as you say. Even if you get them fixed it can(i believe) come back.
I have AST coilovers on my car, and i recommend them. They are fully damper adjustable and can be adjusted from the top of the struts inside the car(knobs on back seats) and from under the bonnet. There are 12 settings going from softer than normal STI to hard and bouncy(but never too hard). I often change the damper settings depending on how and where i'm driving. They are good for british roads, unlike Tein coilovers which are very hard.
A place called Powerstation in Gloucester sell them and fit them. Remember to make sure you have a full 4 wheel geometry alignment done when fitting new suspension. You can get a whole suspension package fiitted by the above companyif you are willing to payfor it, for example,
Stage 3 - T25 Spec Kit
AST Sport-Line Suspension Kit
Rear Adjustable Roll Bar
Anti-Lift Kit
Front Adjustable Roll Bar
4-Wheel Alignment
1450* + VAT

The AST coilovers alone are about 800/900 + whatever for fitting + about 70/80 for the wheel alignment

By the way, I'm not on commission from them , but have that exact package plus front n rear strut braces and it's fantastic.
I would second the above, got the same setup on my scoob.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

a decent set of kyb shocks and eibach lowering springs will be half the price and do just the job.

coilovers on a road car are pointless, they never get adjusted and are just something for pub talk unless your racing and adjusting setups to suit each track etc
Old 19 Aug 2009, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

I adjust mine.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

yeah but you drag yours, unless your gonna adjust them whast the point?

also they need geom setups when adjusted to make sure there right (depending on what you ahve adjusted of course)
Old 19 Aug 2009, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

and I usually forgot to change them back for the drive home. doh
Old 19 Aug 2009, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
a decent set of kyb shocks and eibach lowering springs will be half the price and do just the job.

coilovers on a road car are pointless, they never get adjusted and are just something for pub talk unless your racing and adjusting setups to suit each track etc
Cheers.

I've already got the springs on and the Kybs look like good value.

Front and rear or just rear? Thanks.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post

i adjust my dampers all the time, it's fun to change the ride feel and i don't go down the pub n talk about it. I come on here and talk to you about it.

but as you say, he already has eibach springs so kyb shocks would be cheaper,, - but not as good/rigid/flat n tight as my set-up
Old 19 Aug 2009, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadfast View Post
Cheers.

I've already got the springs on and the Kybs look like good value.

Front and rear or just rear? Thanks.
i would definately do the whole car
Old 19 Aug 2009, 04:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

As andrew said
Old 19 Aug 2009, 05:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
i adjust my dampers all the time, it's fun to change the ride feel and i don't go down the pub n talk about it. I come on here and talk to you about it.

but as you say, he already has eibach springs so kyb shocks would be cheaper,, - but not as good/rigid/flat n tight as my set-up
you like a tight set up?
Old 19 Aug 2009, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248

Quote:

Having driven Brumbrum's Spec c around the track... several times

I can confirm when it comes to Scoobies...he is not a bullshiter who talks bollocks all day long about horse power and rolling road figures and who has the biggest end pipe, down the pub or on any blog site

He does however talk bollocks about everything else

The handling set up on this car is fantastic... it makes a big diffence to everyday handling and track handling... it's really smooth for such a sporty package and allows choices and options, and that's the key to satisfaction IMHO

It is easy, very easy infact, to adjust

I was amazed at how the understeer that fecks the handling of the Impreza is gone... it is dialled out.... with the right tyres the car is amazing (R888 Toyo's) and for the track the semi slicks

I have, like many on this site, tracked all of my cars at various places, and I have driven many different models around Coombe and at Prodrives testing ground... The Impreza is a brilliant but flawed car, some work is required to refine and bring out the well hard diamond from the washed out front end boat steering Standard Sti flavour, but to do this without ending up with a rough ride around normal roads is not simple

The track pro who I invited to join me at Castle Combe.. was astounded how good the car was and we pushed it to the limit and beyond... to gauge just how good Brumbrums spec c is... He was amazed at how fast the car was around the circuit and it put much faster and more powerfull 'track' cars to shame

In the real road world I am confident this car would muller anything, then head but it, stamp on it's face, rip out the spinal cord and then give it a nasty chinese burn for kicks

If anyone, and I mean anyone, would like disagree with me.... then you are I am affraid a fecking know nothing knob gargler

Now when it comes down to it... with the right set up Scoobies are the dogs

Dont waste your money on a bit of this and a bit of that.... do it once and do it right

Cant vouch for the customer service or quality at Powerstation as I have never used them...

Now who wants a fight down the pub? or anywhere else for that matter
Old 19 Aug 2009, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby248 View Post

Now who wants a fight down the pub? or anywhere else for that matter

Cant be assed to travel to Wales.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

it's nice having a BIG brother, and anyways - Powerstations customer service is fecking shite i will never go there again if i can help it