Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Questions from a soon to be Impreza newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2009, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Questions from a soon to be Impreza newbie

Hi first post here guys, hello.

I am thinking of purchasing a '96 WRX V-Ltd Impreza import. Never owned one before so have a few questions.

1. The car comes with a Blitz Nurspec R exhaust, with a sports centre pipe and de-cat back.

Does V-Ltd mean the car has been limited in top speed? Perhaps I am way off track?

Despite browsing the net to figure out what a "de-cat" back is, I'm still not crystal clear. I guess it is an exhaust without a catalytic converter? If this is right, how does it get through an MOT? Is it because it's an '96 import?

Thanks in advance guys, want to be clear before I start looking at cars.

Cheers.

Great forum by the way.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2009, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Questions from a soon to be Impreza newbie

v-limited means is a special edition, so special spec car (mainly cosmetic changes ratehr than anything mechanical)

impreza's have 3 cats max in them, one in the down pipe, one in the centre section and then one in the backbox, cat back means the back box has been changed but rest of the cats are still there.

with the mid cat should pass ok, if not just find a friendly mot station
Old 05 Aug 2009, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thank you for this info.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

nee bother. if you have any more questions fire away
Old 05 Aug 2009, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ok, here goes. Does the cars ecu use a lambda sensor for fuelling info? If so, would this exhaust system interfere with proper fuelling of the car?

There is also an option to buy this car with a Polar Performance ecu. I was told that this would allow the car to travel faster than a factory set limit (not that I would intend to do so), wondering if this would simply work with the car, or it needs to be set up?

-------------------------------------------------
Went to the Polar Performance web Site and read about its purpose. Still not sure about lambda sensors/after-market exhausts.

Last edited by scarabrae; 05 Aug 2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabrae View Post
Hi first post here guys, hello.

I am thinking of purchasing a '96 WRX V-Ltd Impreza import. Never owned one before so have a few questions.
As Tidgy says, cosmetic only on the WRX. If it was the STi version that would be a different story.

Should come with the WRC emblem on the boot lid as well as a serial number, though these are often missing. Also front seats should be embroidered with the same emblem as is on the boot lid (afaik, never been in one but looks to be the same emblem). Were only 1000 made. mechanically identical to a standard WRX according to my brochure.

In terms of speed it may well be limited to 112 Mph if the previous owner didn't have it de-restricted, but that has nothing to do with being V-Ltd, that's to do with Japanese law.
Old 06 Aug 2009, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
As Tidgy says, cosmetic only on the WRX. If it was the STi version that would be a different story.

Should come with the WRC emblem on the boot lid as well as a serial number, though these are often missing. Also front seats should be embroidered with the same emblem as is on the boot lid (afaik, never been in one but looks to be the same emblem). Were only 1000 made. mechanically identical to a standard WRX according to my brochure.

In terms of speed it may well be limited to 112 Mph if the previous owner didn't have it de-restricted, but that has nothing to do with being V-Ltd, that's to do with Japanese law.
Thanks for this....Pete