Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Tinted windows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2009, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Tinted windows

Can anyone tell me what's legal and what isn't when it comes to tinted windows? I just bought my first scoobie and all but the front windscreen are blacked out. They are not mirrored but they are very black and people have told me they could be illegal. Can anyone clarify?

Are they illegal or am I just going to have a hard time being stopped by the police being a suspected dealer of some kind? I've driven past lots of police so far without any stoppages so all good so far....

Anyone else here with blacked out windows had the long arm of the law stop them for that reason?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2009, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Re: Tinted windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky View Post
Can anyone tell me what's legal and what isn't when it comes to tinted windows? I just bought my first scoobie and all but the front windscreen are blacked out. They are not mirrored but they are very black and people have told me they could be illegal. Can anyone clarify?

Are they illegal or am I just going to have a hard time being stopped by the police being a suspected dealer of some kind? I've driven past lots of police so far without any stoppages so all good so far....

Anyone else here with blacked out windows had the long arm of the law stop them for that reason?
Contact your nearest MOT centre and they will make things clear for you
Old 05 Aug 2009, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

i have mirrored tint in my back 3 so thats side back passenger and rear boot the fronts are left as standard. check this link it may clarify
Tinted Windscreens, windows
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2009, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for that, thats really helpfull. I don't consider them to obstruct my view in any way and I'm pretty sure they are letting 70% of light through (although there is no real way to be definate!) but I guess if I get stopped and told they are too dark then I will comply with whatever I am advised to do.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Police round here basically state any window films illegal on your front windows beyond the manufacturers own tint of the glass, therefore is a no go even sunstrips should be transparent colours(know plenty of folk get away with solid sunstrips but officially if ya get pulled an the coppers in a bad mood can make you remove em)-i know... had to take a sparco one of my 106gti once.

Where me an me mates hang round at night (Retail park)awaits comments lol, police have been known to come in an if youve got tints on the front windows make ya remove em there an then.
Old 08 Aug 2009, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

beyond the 'B' pillar you can have a pure black out, surely? If you were driving a box van you would have no rear view mirror, so same principle surely??.
My front side windows have a factoy tint and say '43', which i think is about on the limits??