Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Front Diff bearings
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2009, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Front Diff bearings

Hi all,

Has anyone ever had problems with the front diff bearings on a 51 plate Bugeye?
I have had mine on a ramp and there seems to be a bit of lateral play in the drive shafts on the front diff. Can these bearings be changed insitu?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2009, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
stiimpreza1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7,475
Re: Front Diff bearings

You mean the driveshafts can move 3-4mm if you hold it and move the shaft side to side if thats what you mean thats normal if they was anything wrong with your diff bud you'd know the inside wheel be locking up or vice versa by doing a slow turn on full lock also the car be mad vibrating like that the balancing gone
__________________
SEE NO EVO HEAR NO EVO!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2009, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Re: Front Diff bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
You mean the driveshafts can move 3-4mm if you hold it and move the shaft side to side if thats what you mean thats normal if they was anything wrong with your diff bud you'd know the inside wheel be locking up or vice versa by doing a slow turn on full lock also the car be mad vibrating like that the balancing gone
I have a few mill movement on the shafts. but the rear shaft doesnt have any movement. Surely they should be the same? Im starting to get a little feeling on the brake pedal, Ive checked the discs wheel bearings and they seem ok, the only thing I can find is the movement up - down on the drive shafts and there is grease coming out of the drives side seal.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2009, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
stiimpreza1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7,475
Re: Front Diff bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar70 View Post
and there is grease coming out of the drives side seal.
Ah well all depends now how long and how much grease you losing is it on the inner cv joint thats box side or is it the outer cv joint thats wheel side get it check by a mechanic cause that cv joint might be worn now cause they need constant grease around them ball-bearings. or do you mean a gearbox oil seal but they be oil leaking then????
__________________
SEE NO EVO HEAR NO EVO!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2009, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 89
Re: Front Diff bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar70 View Post
I have a few mill movement on the shafts. but the rear shaft doesnt have any movement. Surely they should be the same? Im starting to get a little feeling on the brake pedal, Ive checked the discs wheel bearings and they seem ok, the only thing I can find is the movement up - down on the drive shafts and there is grease coming out of the drives side seal.
If it is a shudder under braking it will more than likely be the discs. You cannot visibly check to see if they are warped. I expect they get a hammering from time to time. Other than that the calipers could be holding slightly but this will usually cause shuddering while driving and smell. There will be play in the front drive shafts. These differ from the back as they are connected to the steering wheels. The back are not.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2009, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Re: Front Diff bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
Ah well all depends now how long and how much grease you losing is it on the inner cv joint thats box side or is it the outer cv joint thats wheel side get it check by a mechanic cause that cv joint might be worn now cause they need constant grease around them ball-bearings. or do you mean a gearbox oil seal but they be oil leaking then????
The grease is definately coming from the diff seal and its seems to be grease not oil.
Is the diff lubricated fron the gearbox or is this seperate?

I will take the shafts off and check the cv joints.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2009, 07:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 89
Re: Front Diff bearings

Sounds like CV grease coming out of the boot. Take them off check them. Might be a split in the CV boot itself.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2009, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
stiimpreza1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7,475
Re: Front Diff bearings

As Chris said^^^^
__________________
SEE NO EVO HEAR NO EVO!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Re: Front Diff bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_wrx View Post
Sounds like CV grease coming out of the boot. Take them off check them. Might be a split in the CV boot itself.
Now going to garage to have it checked let you know what happens
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Re: Front Diff bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar70 View Post
Now going to garage to have it checked let you know what happens
Just taken off the offside drive shaft. Opened up the inner cv joint and all the grease is (US) it seems as if water has got in and diluted all the grease. Cleaned it all up and repacked with grease all seems ok. I will do the other side soon.

Just wondering how the grease has gone like this. The gaiter is fine with no splits or cracks.

Should these CV joints be filled with high temperature grease?

The car certainly feels a lot nicer to drive now.

Just need to change the rear diff mount bushes. got a small knock on the back and the bushes seem soft so changing to poly bushes.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 11:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
 
stiimpreza1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 7,475
Re: Front Diff bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar70 View Post

Just wondering how the grease has gone like this. The gaiter is fine with no splits or cracks.

Should these CV joints be filled with high temperature grease?
Water could have possibly running down the shaft and where boot secures to shaft the clip might have loosened get the LM Grease it a dark grey in colour thats the grease it takes
__________________
SEE NO EVO HEAR NO EVO!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2009, 08:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Re: Front Diff bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
Water could have possibly running down the shaft and where boot secures to shaft the clip might have loosened get the LM Grease it a dark grey in colour thats the grease it takes
No chance of the water getting in where the boot seals they were very tight on the clips.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Info. DCCD - Driver controlled center differential 2002pete Modifications - Tips and Tricks 11 17 Oct 2010 02:00 AM
Different profile tyres front and back damage diff? Voodooray Technical General 3 06 May 2008 08:35 PM
[LEXUS] INTRODUCING THE NEW LEXUS IS skylight World Wide Automotive - News / Discussions 0 18 Nov 2005 08:34 PM
OUTSTANDING NEW ‘BOXER’ ENGINE FOR ’06 LEGACY RANGE skylight General Chat - Anything about Anything 3 03 Aug 2005 10:15 AM
front wheel bearings??... HELP!! stressed dave Technical General 2 21 Jul 2005 08:22 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:35 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.