Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

new car 96 wrx import got a few qs and a small prob pls help !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2009, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

new car 96 wrx import got a few qs and a small prob pls help !!!

hello just picked up a 96 import wrx with 65000 miles on 12 months mot for not a lot !!! when bought wouldnt boost properly so got it half price !!well fixed boost sort of taped up intercooler pipe- turbo very well got new pipe on order .well first q
1. boosts well now but if really floor it it goes off then boost just cuts out with a massive jolt very scary !!!and dump valve goes off ???? fine if boost slowly ??? this leads to
2.its an import still with km clocks so is restricted i beleive but i have 4 gadgets added i havent got a clue about so was wondering if any of these are the reason 1.apexi super afc with filter etc set to nothing.2,hks turbo timer again set to nothing.3.apexi boost system meter just a gauge i know !!!and 4.an electronic valve controller
well how the heck do i set this little lot up ???? dont really want more power as the car is way too fast anyway !!! i just to make sure i dont damage anything as it is a cracker all i want is when i want to give it a bit of wellie it doesnt cut boost straight out as it is quite scary and worried about damaging car ??? is it a fuel prob ie not enough getting through or are the controllers not set up for the performance available or is the speedo/ecu limiting the power ie cutting it out ????
and finally got an oil leak from turbo oil return to sump turbo end i think can any one tell me or post a pic where to find the pipe cheers peter !!!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Re: new car 96 wrx import got a few qs and a small prob pls help !!!

hiya mate, first how much is it boosting to?? and secondly seems like youre hitting the fuel cut / boost think i am reight in saying that it is desighned to stop the car boosting to much and preventing damage i once had my pipes off the solenoid the wrong way round and it is like hitting a brick wall,, cheers there is a diagram on here somewhere showing where all the solenoid pipes go to, or do you have a mbc? Ben
Old 30 Jun 2009, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

cheers had a play with apexi which alters mixture now seems to run alot better but do seem to leave a cloud of petrol on high boost !!! so think it needs fine tunning if im going to run hard.sorry bit of a novice whats an mbc ?? cheers peter and yes i agree i think i was having a fuel cut seems to boost to about 1 ok when done hard .if i drive carefully will i harm car ??? cheers peter
Old 01 Jul 2009, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

mbc manual boost controller do you have one or is it got the standard solenoid? will be on the drivers side strut mount with two plugs and 3 small vacum pipes going to it if standard.
do you have the cel light on the dash ? and have you checked for codes?
i will try and find you the post on how to read codes on a classic,
cheers Ben
Old 01 Jul 2009, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

also mate i wouldnt have a clue about the apexi or what it does but am sure someone here will be able to help, but i wouldnt play with it to much especially if your not sure on what it does, could make more problems for yourself chap
Old 01 Jul 2009, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

MBC will not be used in conjuntion with an Apexi unit
Old 01 Jul 2009, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

cheers for help peps spoke to enginetuner set everything to 0 and leave alone !!!! till rolling road time -just done proper flush and syn oil change now running very well peter