Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

ABS Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2009, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ABS Question...

Hi all, I recently had my 51 plate WRX in to subaru for the abs kicking in just as i come to a halt always with gentle braking...they said right rear sensor bugerd so i replaced with one off ebay as they wanted 220!!! for this part, Now the problem wasnt fixed its just the same as before. Chances are the one i bought was bugerd too but for 10 i cant complain realy but! Do i need an ECU reset after replacing this part? subaru says no and they are probly right but it was the woman off the main desk as they wouldnt let me speak with a mechanic My second question is, Anyone know how to disable the ABS on a bugeye? I know this isnt ideal but id rather it not work till i sort it proply as the buger kicks in randomly when im stoping and feels crazy under foot! never know if its a gentle press or pedal sinking argghhhh at junctions/lights etc...
Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Re: ABS Question...

Probably not the best idea but if you cut off the main supply to the ABS module it will stop it working. It will probably keep the ABS light on permently. It will fail an mot for this reason. You could test the rear sensor direct for resistance with a multimeter and compare it to sensor on the other wheel. Its usually the coil that breaks down in the sensors that causes them to fail. Also sometime the cables to the ABS sensors can break and go high resistance. In this case the ABS module cannot see the readings from the sensor. Hope this helps
Old 21 Jun 2009, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

sorry to hear you have a problem, i had a minor prob with my classic 97 and contacted scoobs head office. the receptionist put me thru to the mechanics and they gave all the advice i needed. try them here are the numbers

For Brochure enquiries and to find your nearest Dealer, please call 08708 502 503

For Vehicle Technical advice and Customer Care, please call 0121 747 4000

For Subaru Franchising, please call 0121 730 8193
Old 22 Jun 2009, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

As Chris wrx said take abs relay out and it will keep the abs light in dash on but I wouldnt recommend it BUT this will disarm the abs from working
Old 22 Jun 2009, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

you can always remove bulb on older models not sure about the bugs tho
Old 28 Jun 2009, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the reply's and the heads up i am gonna have this fixed asap but just wanted to disable it untill i do so when i brake i know where the pedals going . One more question, Wheres the abs relay on a bug eye? Ive checked the fuse box on the right (stood lookin under bonnet, Left sat in car) and i dont see it in there.. Thanks
Old 20 Mar 2015, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Did you found out what the problem was? I have the same problem and my mechanic said it is the abs module (pump).. thanks
Old 20 Mar 2015, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi, jeez this was some years ago now and the car long gone :-( dam you kids!! Anyway, after much lurking about I looked through the wheel nut hole in the hub and spotted what looked like a zip cord! So removed disc etc to expose the abs toothed ring and sure enough some asshole probably the previous owner had broke the ring in 3 pieces and tried to zip cord the thing back together!! Another call to subaru and abs ring was again silly money so I bought a complete rear hub assembly including abs ring from an online scooby breaker for 50 quid only to find the ring can't be removed without pulling the bearing so I carefully cut the ring in 2 bolted it in and chemical metal'd the 2 cut lines....road test light light went out and all was well with the world once more....this probably isn't your problem but anything can happen!! God I miss that car, hope you sort yours soon, all the best
Old 20 Mar 2015, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for your reply! I don't think this will be my case ... I have no ABS light on the dash, the mechanic says that if there is something wrong with the sensors the light will come out. Let's see if the new ABS Module will solve the problem...

BTW, your kid will grow up and then you could buy another subaru