Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Subaru Impreza Discussions

Subaru Impreza Forum

Loss of turbo on 04 WRX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2004, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Loss of turbo on 04 WRX

I have an 04-reg WRX Subaru, 5 months old which over the last 2 weeks keeps losing the turbo. BHP appears to drop by 50%. If I turn-off the ignition and re-start the Turbo works again. On a trip up north last weekend, the turbo switched off 3 times.

The Check engine light does not come on. Does anyone know whats going on ? the Subaru dealership is stuck ?

HELP !
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2004, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Hello SteveH, firstly welcome to the site. If that is happening then i would just suggest giving the car back to the dealer and let them sort it out for you. I have a 04 WRX and would be devastated if that was happening.

Unsure what the problem could be but get it back to the garage... 20'000 is on this car :shock: :wink:

Just a thought :wink:
Old 28 Jul 2004, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

This does bizarre mate A Turbo that switches off is something I haven't myself come across before ?? Is it that its spooling just not going anywhere ?? It really could be a number of things but I am gonna go for the Boost Control Solenoid. I am not to sure what they are like on the Newage but this is a known problem with Classic Imprezas that the solenoid can get fouled up (especially when the engine oil is overfilled) and this can cause all manner of problems. As I say it could be a number of things ?? Turbo/Wastegate or ECU problem ?? My suggestion would be to get a Boost Gauge (if you haven't already) - pipe it in (not difficult honest) and see exactly what your boost is doing.

Hope this helps ?
Old 29 Jul 2004, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to KaraK
sounds like a problem not unkown on the VAG 20vT, where the ECU goes into "limp" mode and cuts boost back to negligible levels. Not heard of it happening on a scoob before tho. Usually caused when it thinks its over-boosting, so it could be a boost solenoid or sticking wastegate.

camn anyone spell WARRANTY ? :roll:
Old 29 Jul 2004, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to KaraK
if it is thinking it has too much boost then it won't nessicarily show the CEL, I had an intermittant solenoid problem on my 98 and I had no CEL either.
Old 03 Aug 2004, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

50%?

Sounds like wastegate pressure. Could be a sticky wastegate or intermittent problems with one of the vacuum lines.